Work bench

  • gavinkilkenny
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2012
      The frame of my work bench is assembled. I'll get the joints glue up over the next week, then I get to work on flattening out the top rails and getting the top onto it.

      I'm making the whole thing from trees taken down in my yard, working entirely with hand tools. Each of the long rails and stretchers weighs about 50 pounds.

      Frame is all oak, mortise and tenon joints, gluing and pegging. Top will be made from planks made from one of the pines that I had taken down in the spring.

      I split a couple of short oak logs today, hoping to get pieces for a stand I need to build. One of them was incredibly twisted- actually split in a spiral! I am thinking about how to use a couple of the pieces because they are so interesting.

      Gavin Kilkenny