Re: Hello, all

  • Gille MacDhnouill
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7, 2012
      I've done a little in the past, but I have 6 large (20-24" dia by 3+ feet long) red oak logs in my side yard now that will become joint stools pretty soon. I have to find some boards to throw up a riving break this weekend, then I'm going to start splitting. Green oak is wicked heavy - I'll be glad to get them down into workable sections.

      About 2 years ago my friend Steve scored a green Walnut trunk section (~20-24" diameter by about a foot long). We split that down, and I made some plane totes and a greasebox. Boy that was fun - easy to work, and beautiful results.

      Keep up the good work!
      -----Gille MacDhnouill, ACG, AEthelmearc

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gavinkilkenny" <dukegavin@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Conal for letting me join ;)
      >
      > I've been working a bit this summer with greenwood, thanks to having to remove several trees from my property this summer. Hewn a beam from a pine log, made a cleaving break, currently working on a workbench and then I need to redo my shaving horse. At some point there will be a pole lathe too.
      >
      > And probably a post and beam frame with wattle walls and a canvas roof so I can work when it rains- maybe even a little wood stove to let me work in the winter.
      >
      > Anyone else working greenwood, rather than kiln dried stuff?
      >
      > Gavin Kilkenny

    • gavinkilkenny
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2012
        I got a good sized broad axe off of EBay (about 11 pounds, edge somewhere around 12" +-) and between that and a felling axe, hewed the pine beam. It is heavy work - especially with such a heavy axe ;)
        but in some ways easier than I thought it would be. I think years of hitting moving targets with a stick made hitting a precise stationary target with an axe relatively simple.

        One thing I strongly recommend that I still haven't got hold of myself - log dogs. It really makes the job easier if the log is not trying to move on you the whole time!