wood bench vise

  • K
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22, 2012
      Hi, I was cleaning my bench post pennsic and I thought I would share my bench vise. I was talking about to avery1415 at pennsic. I have been using this vice or one like it for nearly 30 years. I first saw it in an article about things found at Pompei. it was found in a small boat shed/shop on the waterfront, there was a slave chained to the bench with a very long and light weight chain, where he apparently slept under the bench. he was found (or a cast of him) in a sleeping like position.
      the vise is made up of 3 blocks of the hardest wood you can find. mine is Sugar Maple.
      2 blocks are 8/4 x 2 x 10 ( that is 1.75 x 2 x 10)inches.
      fasten one block parrallel to the front edge of your bench. Fasten the other block about 2" behind it, and at an angle to it.
      I have experimented with angles, 1:7 works but sometimes the wedge jumps back out, 1:10 also works but sticks so well it is hard to get the wedge back out.
      I am currently using 1:8 and like it very much.
      Now on your 3rd block draw that same angle from one corner to the opposite edge. come back about an inch and draw a 1/2" nose (see pictures)
      your stock is then gripped by jambing it against the nose such that the wedge is driven into the angled blocks.

      now how do I attach pictures?
      see pictures in picture file pls
    • Broom
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22, 2012
        > now how do I attach pictures?
        > see pictures in picture file pls

        Where did you put them?

        ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
        ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
        ' | 923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
        ' | "Discere et docere", which means:
        '\|/ "I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance, / Were
        '/|\ it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance."
        //|\\ - Ogden Nash
      • Helen Schultz
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 22, 2012

          Broom, if you get this in the HTML format (not sure if you do), you will see that there are 11 new photos listed at Recent Activity.  If you get this in TEXT format, then just go to the list web site, and it will also have the new photos listed on the home page.

          ~~ Katarina Helene

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22, 2012
            look for "Pompei wood vise" in the phioto's section
          • K
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 22, 2012
              ok durrrr , make that "pompei bench vise"
            • K
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 22, 2012
                for a sketchup drawing look for "pompei wood vise"