Re: What's new?

  • frode_kettilsson
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 16, 2012
      Hi K,
      Yes, actually, it was the first instrument I tried making (not counting an ill fated gourd fiddle). Basswood body and maple sound board and finger board, made before I learned you can't use those woods in that way, heheh.
      Frode

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "K" <kaisaerpren@...> wrote:

      > Hi; new member here. in photo #22 you have a kit or shoe fiddle next to your dulcymer. did you make it?

    • Karl Newman
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 16, 2012
        well, at least it looks good ;)
        where did you get plans/dimensions? for it? or did you just wing it?
        on the dulcymer... if you hollow out the beam that the finger board is on top of, so that it is a u channel w walls about 3/16" thick, it will substantially increase the volume of sound it produces. a solid beam dampens the string vibrations before they get to the soundboard.

      • frode_kettilsson
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 18, 2012
          Heheh, actually, it sounds surprisingly good (I was pleasantly surprised).  I didn't learn till later that maple isn't considered a proper/traditional sound board material, but, hey, it works, so...
          I first saw the design on Paul Butlers Rutgers web site , and promptly failed to  follow his dimensions, so mine is a little oversized.  I recommend his site to anyone interested in this sort of thing!
          I've heard that about the fret board on a dulcimer, but at the time, I didn't have the large Forstner bit I thought I'd need to do the hollowing, and being impatient (and assured that the arch method would also be better than solid wood), I went ahead and arched.  I'm going to hollow the next one out, though.  Ought to lighten things up noticeably, too.
          Thanks,
          Frode