medieval trestles

  • gloerke
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 4 10:56 AM
      Hi all,

      I have visited the onze-lieve-vrouwe-ter-potterie museum in Bruges, Belgium last month and took photos and measurements of four original 15th century trestles, as well as the very large table board. This was definitely not a standard medieval trestle table as we would imagine (i.e. easy to set up and transport). The table board is 8.4 metre long and would weigh around 270 kg. The trestles are big as well.

      Anyway photos are posted on my blog, for those interested.

      Marijn
      St. Thomasguild
      Http://thomasguild.blogspot.nl
    • Dan Baker

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4 5:46 PM
          Are the measurements metric?

          Lucien
          ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

        • barondevin@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 5 12:10 PM
            > I have visited the onze-lieve-vrouwe-ter-potterie museum in Bruges,
            > Belgium last month and took photos and measurements of four original
            > 15th century trestles, as well as the very large table board. This was

            Interesting that they set up all the trestles facing the same direction. I would have thought alternating them would provide more stability. I suppose it would make it easier to seat people on one side if it was being used as head table.

            Devin

            "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)
          • gloerke
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 6 1:26 PM
              the measurements are metric: cm in the drawing. No medieval thumbs, feet, etc... My apologies for that ;)

              marijn

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jim Looper <jimlooper@...> wrote:

              > Are the measurements metric?
              >
              > Lucien
              > ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

            • Jeffrey Johnson
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 6 5:50 PM

                I've seen that table. It's awesome. The potterje has several very nice pieces.