Re: Food-Safe finish -can be modern

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 19, 2012
      According to one of the woodworking magazines (American Woodworker I think, but don't quote me on it) virtually all modern poly finishes are food safe IF you let them dry thoroughly.  The solvents being the hazardous component.

      There is a big difference ($) between being food safe and jumping through the hurdles required to be able to say your food safe, but as they say in the Pharmaceutical industry (at least in the conscientious parts of the industry), you can't test safety into your product.

      Avery
    • Tom Immke
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 19, 2012
        I am fairly new to this group and don't talk much, but I learn a lot.   This is however is of significant interest to me.   I have been searching for over a year for a food safe finish that is FDA approved.  I manufacture tankards and have to be very careful what I apply.  I have used everything from different oils (including a salad bowl finish) to epoxy's.  According to the sales people in the stores, all over the counter finishes are "food safe" once cured BUT beware.  The manufacturers do NOT state this, probably for legal reasons.
        What ever you use get the MSDS sheet and look it over, most are online from the manufacturer. If you understand it like me I still end up calling the company to verify.  Certain finishes have different specifications and will deteriorate with certain liquids.... and temperatures.  I have only found one FDA approved finish I can use for my products that will tolerate alcohol and heat, but I look all the time for faster and better finishes.
        Just do a bit of research to be safe.

        Tom

         Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Avery Austringer <avery1415@...> wrote:

        According to one of the woodworking magazines (American Woodworker I think, but don't quote me on it) virtually all modern poly finishes are food safe IF you let them dry thoroughly.  The solvents being the hazardous component.

        There is a big difference ($) between being food safe and jumping through the hurdles required to be able to say your food safe, but as they say in the Pharmaceutical industry (at least in the conscientious parts of the industry), you can't test safety into your product.

        Avery

      • Bobby Bourgoin
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 21, 2012
          Thanks to all who answered. It’s been VERY helpful.

          Bobby

          Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 11:46 AM
          Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Food-Safe finish -can be modern

          Greetings;
          I remember reading a string of mails about this subject, but can remember the outcome...
          What wood finish (can be modern like varnish, or Minwax, or whatever) is food-safe?
          I would like a really hard finish for a wood plate, bowl, mug, and pitcher.  These can/will hold food and liquids both hot and cold for extended periods of time, and will most-likely see fairly hard use.  I am not fond of having to reapply a finish every month or so, multiple coats at the finish stage of the product is normal, but having to reapply after use is a pain...

          As mentioned this finish can be modern (or not), please help, any ideas

          Bobby