Himmelbett / canopied bed

  • ErikB
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2012
      Does anyone have photos or drawings of high medieval canopied beds? I'm specifically looking for something that shows how the top was assembled. I can think of a few different ways to do it, but I'm trying to figure out what was actually done in period before I start making a new bed.

      Erik Baird
    • D. Young
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2012
        Youre best bet is to look at Victor Chinnery  Oak, the British Tradition.

        Most extant beds are from the 1600s and 1700s....very, very few are from the late Middle Ages.

        Virtually none from earlier than the 1400...I think maybe one or two at most.

        http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0902028618/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_0/187-9120250-2812460?ie=UTF8&condition=used

             Custom Commissions Welcome....!

        www.partsandtechnical.com

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: bairdec@...
        Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 06:21:02 +0000
        Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Himmelbett / canopied bed

        Does anyone have photos or drawings of high medieval canopied beds? I'm specifically looking for something that shows how the top was assembled. I can think of a few different ways to do it, but I'm trying to figure out what was actually done in period before I start making a new bed.

        Erik Baird

      • AlbionWood
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 14, 2012
          There are some in European books: "Mobilier Moyen-Age Renaissance" by
          Monica Burckhardt (pub. Ch. Massin, Paris) and "Mobel Europas 1" by
          Windisch-Graetz (pub. Klinkhardt & Biermann). I scanned a few examples
          and put them on this page:
          http://www.albionworks.com/BedsPage/beds.html

          Good luck!
          Tim