What's new?

  • frode_kettilsson
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 24, 2012
      Well, in answer to Wolf's question, "what's new?", I was going to title this post, "Scheitholtz Happens", but I thought better of it.
      Actually, I'm working on a mountain dulcimer, even as we speak, and before anyone says, "but, that's not medieval", that's true, but its ancestors go way(!) back. It's a lot easier to find builder information for dulcimers than for sheitoltz(en, es, ?), langspils, langleiks, hummels, etc. so I'm starting there. Ultimately, when my feet are wet, soon, I'll step up to one of the aforementioned zither kin. Also, I'm taking a slight break with this dulcimer, in that I gladly let the lumberyard run it through the power sander and band saw. As soon as I'm ready to hitch up my tunic and roll up my sleeves again, I'll switch back to full medieval mode and hand split some nice walnut I've got slowly drying, and break out the plane. Got some really dry apple out on the pile, too, that might lend something to the effort. Of course, that means I'll have to set up a bow lathe to make the tuning pegs, but you can never have too many human powered lathes around, now can you?!
      More to come,
      Frode
    • Dave Ordway
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 25, 2012
        My daughter has a dulcimer made locally here in Virginia from wood harvested from the Great Dismal Swamp.  I don't know the craftsman's name, nice piece and masterfully done.  Currently working on a Cabinet Makers Tool Chest.  Inspired by a book I recently read about handtools, their use and history.  There was mention of how cabinetmakers carried their tools in a chest that displays their craftsmanship.  I've got some antique planes and some new ones including chisels and saws that I use and thought a nice place to store and display them would be useful.  Got some 5/4 rough sawn white oak from a local vendor and intend to take my time using as many handtools as reasonable to build this chest.  By reasonable I mean hey, it's white oak.  This stuffs heavy and I thought I had sharp plane irons and chisels.  I'll be wearing out some stones during this project.  Currently working on the lid which has 30 hand cut dovetails and corners with mitered (half lapped) dovetails.  The body of the chest will be segmented on the bottom to hold planes and have two trays that lift out that will hold chisels and marking and scribing implements.  I'm thinking about a sliding box that travels along the top tray to hold small implements.  Attaching saws to the underside of the lid is another option I'm considering.

        This isn't an arts entry, it's just something I want to do.  My one reference gives me 18th century Colonial but I'm sure this is not a new concept.  Does anyone know of any such chests?

        Lagerstein

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 26, 2012
          For a late 19th/early 20th century example, there's the Studley Tool Chest, built by a man who was a piano and organ maker.  It definitely highlights his skill as a craftsman!

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_O._Studley

          --Alysaundre Weldon
          Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 26, 2012
            I can only dream of doing something like that! As patient as I can be, I just don't know that I have "that" much patience - and I darn sure don't have that kind of skill.

            Lagerstein, somewhere in my head I seem to recall seeing some from the 18th C. and possibly 17th C. but "where" I saw them just isn't connecting. If I make the connection, I'll let you know. As far as any before that, I don't know of any surviving examples until you get back to the Mastermyr Chest.

            Frode, I'm looking forward to seeing how the dulcimer comes out! (you "will" post pictures of it, right? Huh? Huh?) Because of your email, I went on a "follow the links" hunt, and discovered a whole range of instruments that I never knew existed. Once I'm back to the point where I can do something, I may have to take a stab at doing a langleik or a hummel - they certainly "seem" to be more simplistic (as in, not as refined as a dulcimer), so maybe the construction will be easier. Well, except for the "flying by the seat of my pants" part of it! I also got side-tracked by the medieval viol - which apparently isn't related at all to the modern violin - which sounds like a good possibly project.

            Now, as for being able to actually "play" the aforementioned langleik, hummel, or medieval viol.........  Let's just say that I couldn't carry a tune, if you handed me a music book! I have a hard time even playing the kazoo right. ;-D

            Wolf

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 30, 2012

              The current big project is a chair I was commissioned to make, based on the Chair of the Venerable Bede. I had to do a little "artist's recreation" of the original to figure what it looked like before several centuries (or a millennium) of wear and damage took effect. It was resized from the original for function/transport and to fit the stature of the client while maintaining a pleasing proportion. I also had to change the likely original left-arm side to match with the right, as this is intended to be used "in the round" rather than up against a wall as the original.
              The final apparent variation is the inclusion of a large hand-carved knotwork pattern on the seatback. This did give me the opportunity to work with milk-paint, which I enjoy greatly.
              The joinery is significantly different from the original as the client wanted something that could be disassembled and transported easily. A few custom jigs and a shop-built router base later, there are sliding dovetails a plently and one through-mortise for a friction lock.
              Today is finishing. The client wanted something waterproof, historically appropriate, and clear. Glair Varnish over oil it is. The oil has had a week to set up, and I whipped about a half-quart of glair this morning. It should be ready to start application this evening.

              I'll see about posting pics when I get things reassembled.

              Vels

            • frode_kettilsson
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 30, 2012
                Will do, Wolf! I agree, some of the old northern European versions do look a bit easier to assemble, what with no curved sides. I'll do one of those next, too, probably one of the varieties that can be bowed. You've likely discovered they have a unique sound, too.
                Me, I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, and I've lost the bucket!
                I'll have to place it in more capable hands to see if it works :-)
                Frode

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <sancoeur@...> wrote:

                > ...Frode, I'm looking forward to seeing how the dulcimer comes out! (you "will" post pictures of it, right? Huh? Huh?) Because of your email, I went on a "follow the links" hunt, and discovered a whole range of instruments that I never knew existed.like a good possibly project...
                >
                > Now, as for being able to actually "play" the aforementioned...

              • Vels inn Viggladi
                Message 7 of 22 , Jul 10 5:05 AM
                  Morning All,

                  I just posted some pictures to the yahoo group page related to the repro/inspired version of The Chair of the Venerable Bede as was mentioned the other week. I kicked a few of my notes together on LiveJournal. http://valr.livejournal.com/96942.html and http://valr.livejournal.com/97086.html

                  I'd welcome any thoughts or inquiries.

                  Make good sawdust.

                  Vels

                • Jim Looper
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 10 7:24 AM

                    That looks GREAT!

                    Lucien

                    ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

                    Morning All,

                    I just posted some pictures to the yahoo group page related to the repro/inspired version of The Chair of the Venerable Bede as was mentioned the other week. I kicked a few of my notes together on LiveJournal. http://valr.livejournal.com/96942.html and http://valr.livejournal.com/97086.html

                    I'd welcome any thoughts or inquiries.

                    Make good sawdust.

                    Vels

                  • gloerke
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jul 10 12:56 PM
                      When I look at your reconstruction drawings, I automatically think of 13th-14th century choir stalls which can be found some German cloisters (for instance kloster Wienhausen). The ones with high backs and sides are usually reserved for the abbot/abbess, the low ones for the normal monk/nuns.
                      If I look at the original bede chair, my first impression is that it has been one chair of a normal choir stall (and not in a very good state). I don not think there has been a canopy, but that some parts gone missing on both sides during the ages.

                      Marijn

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Vels inn Viggladi <velsthe1@...> wrote:

                      > Morning All,
                      >
                      > I just posted some pictures to the yahoo group page related to the repro/inspired version of The Chair of the Venerable Bede as was mentioned the other week. I kicked a few of my notes together on LiveJournal. http://valr.livejournal.com/96942.html and http://valr.livejournal.com/97086.html
                      >
                      > I'd welcome any thoughts or inquiries.
                      >
                      > Make good sawdust.
                      >

                      > Vels

                    • AlbionWood
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 14 7:59 PM
                        Yes, I have read that the so-called Bede Chair is actually a choir-stall
                        of much later date than Bede. If anyone is interested I can try to
                        locate the reference - it will take a little digging.

                        This is quite a common thing, especially in England, for an object to
                        bear the name of someone with whom it had no real association.

                        Cheers,
                        Tim

                        On 7/10/2012 12:56 PM, gloerke wrote:
                        > When I look at your reconstruction drawings, I automatically think of 13th-14th century choir stalls which can be found some German cloisters (for instance kloster Wienhausen). The ones with high backs and sides are usually reserved for the abbot/abbess, the low ones for the normal monk/nuns.
                        > If I look at the original bede chair, my first impression is that it has been one chair of a normal choir stall (and not in a very good state). I don not think there has been a canopy, but that some parts gone missing on both sides during the ages.
                        >
                        > Marijn
                        >
                        > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Vels inn Viggladi <velsthe1@...> wrote:
                        >>

                        >> Morning All,
                        >>
                        >> I just posted some pictures to the yahoo group page related to the repro/inspired version of The Chair of the Venerable Bede as was mentioned the other week. I kicked a few of my notes together on LiveJournal. http://valr.livejournal.com/96942.html and http://valr.livejournal.com/97086.html
                        >>
                        >> I'd welcome any thoughts or inquiries.
                        >>
                        >> Make good sawdust.
                        >>

                        >> Vels
                      • Vels inn Viggladi
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 15 9:14 AM

                          That similarity to a 13th century Choir Stall was part of the debate as to it's authenticity as actually being Bede's Chair rather than a 14th century fraud. I'll be digging out the dendrochronology report for my formal write-up on the piece, but, the wood itself is dated for felling to the mid-600's. There have been counter-claims suggesting that it still was a 14th century fraud using old wood. I find a claim that suggests someone had the fortuitous sense to use parts from an old piece of furniture that happened to be from exactly the right half-century for it to have been in use during Bede's lifetime as highly improbable.
                          While trade was exceptionally limited for such items, we do have corollaries in the design elements and general appearance in Constantinople and pictorial evidence from religious icons  and manuscript illuminations during the appropriate period (6th-8th Centuries). These images typically focus on a Saint who was known for their wisdom or literacy (ie Gospel Writers at work).
                          Those same pictorial references show canopies in some instances. In the photograph of the original piece there is a concave arc in the topmost fifth of the "arm" that ends in dead space just a few inches from the top of the back frame. More than a little ingenuity is required when trying to imagine what this looked like before all the damage was sustained. That little bit of arc, with the clean cut end at the top, suggests to me it was intended to support another member of wood. All combined, I decided to include the canopy frame above the chair in the rendering.

                          Entertaining (to me) sidenote: Many of the styles, motives, and forms popular and common in 12th-15th century Western Europe are exact copies and transplants of styles found in the "Byzantine" Roman Empire several centuries earlier. We have a handful of contemporaneous items that are identified as gifts or rarities in the West that were quite common from Sicily East, which then "suddenly appear" as common in the High to Late Middle Ages.

                          Vels

                          > From: albionwood@...
                          >
                          > Yes, I have read that the so-called Bede Chair is actually a choir-stall
                          > of much later date than Bede. If anyone is interested I can try to
                          > locate the reference - it will take a little digging.
                          >
                          > This is quite a common thing, especially in England, for an object to
                          > bear the name of someone with whom it had no real association.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Tim
                          >

                          > On 7/10/2012 12:56 PM, gloerke wrote:
                          > > When I look at your reconstruction drawings, I automatically think of 13th-14th century choir stalls which can be found some German cloisters (for instance kloster Wienhausen). The ones with high backs and sides are usually reserved for the abbot/abbess, the low ones for the normal monk/nuns.
                          > > If I look at the original bede chair, my first impression is that it has been one chair of a normal choir stall (and not in a very good state). I don not think there has been a canopy, but that some parts gone missing on both sides during the ages.
                          > >
                          > > Marijn
                        • frode_kettilsson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 20 11:07 AM
                            Greetings!
                            Well, it's taken a couple more weeks, but I finished the dulcimer!
                            I've uploaded a PDF here  (Yahoo only allows me a 5mb file :/), as it seems the easiest way to run through the process, pictorially.
                            Enjoy!  I'll answer any questions I can!
                            Frode

                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <sancoeur@...> wrote:

                            ...Frode, I'm looking forward to seeing how the dulcimer comes out! (you "will" post pictures of it, right? Huh? Huh?) Because of your email, I went on a "follow the links" hunt, and discovered a whole range of instruments that I never knew existed...

                          • Wolf
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 20 3:25 PM
                              Nicely done! What wood did you settle on (I'm lousy at identifying wood, once you get past "it's wood of some kind!")? How does it sound?

                              In picture #4, I thought you were getting kind of cutesy with the "lips", it wasn't until a few more pictures that I realized it was a shave! Nice set-up you've got there. :-D

                              Wolf

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 20 3:26 PM

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 21 12:10 PM
                                  Thank you, Wolf!
                                  The wood is ash on the body, maple on the peg box and fret board, and apple for the curved end piece, nut, and bridge.
                                  Yeah, I like my shaves, heheh.  I am continually delighted to discover just how much you can actually do with just a saw, draw knife, and shaves.  And if I feel like getting my Popeye on, forget the saw and go with the hand axe!
                                  If you go here  there's a sound check, no talent, just a check for tone and volume.  You may have to turn your volume up a bit, as it's just a camcorder mic, and outside at that.  I can't claim to be unhappy with the sound (insert sound of snapping suspenders).  Here 's a short walk around clip, too, which sometimes helps get a better sense of the thing in question.
                                  A scheitholz build is going to make a lot more sense, now!
                                  Thanks again,
                                  Frode
                                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Wolf <sancoeur@...> wrote:

                                  > Nicely done! What wood did you settle on (I'm lousy at identifying wood, once you get past "it's wood of some kind!")? How does it sound?
                                  >
                                  > In picture #4, I thought you were getting kind of cutesy with the "lips", it wasn't until a few more pictures that I realized it was a shave! Nice set-up you've got there. :-D
                                  >
                                  > Wolf

                                • John LaTorre
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 21 7:46 PM
                                    Frode wrote:
                                    > Greetings!
                                    > Well, it's taken a couple more weeks, but I finished the dulcimer!

                                    Well done!

                                    I guess I should post something here to encourage other musical
                                    instrument makers to show their stuff. Here's a link to some pictures of
                                    a mandore (the predecessor to the modern mandolin) that I made this spring:

                                    I've also completed a "lutar" with the general body shape and
                                    appointments of a lute, but using the stringing, fretboard and bracing
                                    of a classical guitar. (I tell people that "It's a guitar, but its
                                    persona is a lute.") I don't have any pictures of it yet, but will post
                                    some when I do.

                                    And, yes, I will be bringing both instruments to the Great Western War
                                    for anybody to look at or play with.

                                    Johann von Drachenfels
                                  • Sir David Vavreck
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 21 9:39 PM
                                      Beautiful mandore!

                                      Did you use commercial plans, or...?

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 22 11:45 AM
                                        Very nice, Johann, thanks for posting those!
                                        Frode

                                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, John LaTorre <jlatorre@...> wrote:

                                        ...I guess I should post something here to encourage other musical
                                        > instrument makers to show their stuff. Here's a link to some pictures of
                                        > a mandore (the predecessor to the modern mandolin) that I made this spring:

                                        > I've also completed a "lutar" with the general body shape and
                                        > appointments of a lute, but using the stringing, fretboard and bracing
                                        > of a classical guitar. (I tell people that "It's a guitar, but its
                                        > persona is a lute.") I don't have any pictures of it yet, but will post
                                        > some when I do.
                                        >
                                        > And, yes, I will be bringing both instruments to the Great Western War
                                        > for anybody to look at or play with.
                                        >
                                        > Johann von Drachenfels

                                      • K
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Aug 15, 2012
                                          Hi; new member here. in photo #22 you have a kit or shoe fiddle next to your dulcymer. did you make it?
                                        • frode_kettilsson
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 16, 2012
                                            Hi K,
                                            Yes, actually, it was the first instrument I tried making (not counting an ill fated gourd fiddle). Basswood body and maple sound board and finger board, made before I learned you can't use those woods in that way, heheh.
                                            Frode

                                            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "K" <kaisaerpren@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi; new member here. in photo #22 you have a kit or shoe fiddle next to your dulcymer. did you make it?

                                          • Karl Newman
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 16, 2012
                                              well, at least it looks good ;)
                                              where did you get plans/dimensions? for it? or did you just wing it?
                                              on the dulcymer... if you hollow out the beam that the finger board is on top of, so that it is a u channel w walls about 3/16" thick, it will substantially increase the volume of sound it produces. a solid beam dampens the string vibrations before they get to the soundboard.

                                            • frode_kettilsson
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 18, 2012
                                                Heheh, actually, it sounds surprisingly good (I was pleasantly surprised).  I didn't learn till later that maple isn't considered a proper/traditional sound board material, but, hey, it works, so...
                                                I first saw the design on Paul Butlers Rutgers web site , and promptly failed to  follow his dimensions, so mine is a little oversized.  I recommend his site to anyone interested in this sort of thing!
                                                I've heard that about the fret board on a dulcimer, but at the time, I didn't have the large Forstner bit I thought I'd need to do the hollowing, and being impatient (and assured that the arch method would also be better than solid wood), I went ahead and arched.  I'm going to hollow the next one out, though.  Ought to lighten things up noticeably, too.
                                                Thanks,
                                                Frode