Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hardware sources

  • Thylacine
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
      Which of the tremont nails do most people use? I have been looking at them for a while but just have not yet ordered any and keep alternating on which styles to get..
      Thanks
      Thylacine
      Barony of Hidden Mountain

    • Peter Ellison
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
        I use the 4D finishing nails the most.

        If you order through them 3 boxes of nails is roughly $25.

        I chose the box nails (as I was building a box from the Chris S. book :-)
        The finishing nails, and the normal 4D nails.

        Both the box and the regular 4D nails are pretty big.

        If you are unsure I'd suggest that you check out:
        http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/

        They offer 1/2 lbs of the nails, and you could try a wider range of nails.  I'd suggest trying a few of a could different types.  The ones with wrought heads look cool.

        Don't forget these NEED to be pre-drilled, if you are nailing something thin cinch them.

        Peter

        > Which of the tremont nails do most people use? I have been looking at them
        > for a while but just have not yet ordered any and keep alternating on
        > which
        > styles to get..
        > Thanks
        > Thylacine
        > Barony of Hidden Mountain

      • Michael Sheldon
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
          I'm very fond of the rose-head clinch nails. One thing to remember with cut nails is that grain direction matters to the alignment of the nail. Otherwise I actually prefer using cut nails over modern nails.

          And of course with clinch nails, they need to be a bit longer than the material is thick, so you can clinch them on the back.

          Michael Sheldon
          Greyhounds of Fairhaven

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
            I've found that I only need to pre-drill for cut nails if the pieces I'm joining have different grain directions or with thin (under 3/4") low-quality (Home Depot) pine. Otherwise I just align them with the grain and pound them in. They drive in much cleaner and easier than with modern nails.

            Michael Sheldon
            Greyhounds of Fairhaven

          • conradh@efn.org
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
              > I made the lock for this box on the principle of some viking locks, it was
              > tricky and doesnt work as well as I would like. If you make the sort of
              > lock plate and staple that I used you can put a basic wardrobe lock on the
              > inside for about the same effect. 8->

              Miriam--I do have a forge, and I've made several Viking chest locks and
              padlocks. I find the trick is to get this oddly shaped key to slide into
              the lock without hanging up, but also without too much slop. Practice
              helps, but generally make everything too tight to begin with, and then
              file the holes and parts a _little_ bit at a time until they just fit. It
              also helps to add a few scraps of sheet metal "L"'s around the keyhole to
              guide the key into the pivot hole, but still allow the key to rotate once
              it's seated all the way.

              To people used to the precision of modern Yale tumbler locks, the sloppy
              tolerances of a lot of Dark Ages locksmithing takes some getting used to.
              This is one reason why lock designs were so diverse in period--a medieval
              town would have locks of more basic types than a modern town uses, just
              because it was the only way the locksmith could provide unique keys to all
              his customers.

              Today, they can be quite secure--just because it would take a modern
              locksmith half an hour just to figure out how they worked, and how to get
              into something so barbaric! While the maker, like you or I, could
              probably open the thing in two minutes or less with some bent bits of coat
              hanger wire.

              Hinges are fun to forge; which reminds me I need to get off the damn
              computer and make some more. I nearly sold out of strap hinges at Egils
              Tourney last week. One of the Usual Suspects here had a woodworking setup
              where they were making six-board chests, and came over to my booth for
              snipe hinges and my last pair of Rhineland heart-finial strap hinges.

              Ulfhedinn
            • Michael Sheldon
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
                This one I had not seen before. They have some nice looking hinges.

                Michael Sheldon
                Greyhounds of Fairhaven

                On 06/04/2012 01:30 AM, Jim Looper wrote:
                > http://www.kingmetals.com/Home.aspx
                >
                > Better prices than most from what I have seen...
                >
                > Lucien
                > ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.
              • Michael Sheldon
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
                  I'd seen these guys before, and for some reason missed a lot of what
                  they have. Thanks for pointing me back there.

                  Michael Sheldon
                  Greyhounds of Fairhaven

                  On 06/03/2012 11:54 PM, Alex Haugland wrote:

                  > www.leevalley.com has some wonderful strap hinges that I've used quite a
                  > bit. Check under their hardware section. They also carry Tremont cut
                  > nails. Locks are much trickier...
                  >
                  > --Alysaundre Weldon
                  > Barony of Adiantum, An Tir
                • Michael Sheldon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 4, 2012
                    On the subject of Tremont Nails.

                    If you order direct from them, they have a Steel Cut Nail Sample Set,
                    that has one each of all the nails they produce on a display card. It's
                    quite helpful for those of use who like/need to see and touch so we know
                    what we're looking for.

                    If you buy a lot of nails, they'll even sell you Cedar nail kegs to hold
                    them :)

                    Michael Sheldon
                    Greyhounds of Fairhaven