Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Resaw question

  • Dave Ordway
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 10, 2012
      I have had success using a thin blade pull saw.  I have cut shavings to an 1/16th of an inch.  Lowe's currently carries Japanese style saws under the name of Bear.  No bamboo handle but a nice thin blade.  I use them allot for dovetailing and other joinery involved in box and bow making.  Price is good; under 20 bucks but there is a learning curve.  Do not force, let the saw do the work.  And remember, it's a pull saw not a push.

      Lagerstein

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 13, 2012
        Went to our local community college and got 2 boards resawn for free! Cool shop to boot, must find a way to take classes there.

        Thanks for the suggestion.

        Grace and Peace,

        Jovian

        p.s. Found these shop tips. I already knew a few of them. Others will be incorporated immediately.
        http://imgur.com/a/e19Ap

      • conradh@efn.org
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 16, 2012
          > Went to our local community college and got 2 boards resawn for free! Cool
          > shop to boot, must find a way to take classes there.
          >
          > Thanks for the suggestion.
          >
          > Grace and Peace,
          >
          > Jovian

          Check their rates, but a community college adult ed. shop class is often a
          cheap way to get access to some major power tools in a large space. Often
          you learn or show you know the basics and after that can just work on your
          own projects.

          Ulfhedinn
        • David
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 16, 2012
            Even larger colleges often have night courses. I took bronze casting, and many of my fellow students had been taking the same course for 10 years for access to the equipment.