Carving an eagle head for a sella curulis: advice needed

  • gloerke
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2012
      Dear All,

      I am making a sella curulis, a medieval folding chair used until 1400 as a seat of authority for kings, nobles and clergy. This is usually a elaborately carved chair and mine is no exception. I would like to carve the four heads as eagles, resembling the imperial eagle of the holy roman empire. (My re-enactment group is based in Nijmegen, the netherlands which was under the emperors rule).

      The basic shape of the eagle head is ok, but I have trouble making the feathers. I am able to make the feather, but it takes me very much time. Is there a simple way to carve such feathers?

      I have some photos of a test piece of the eagle head in the photo section under "AA sella curulis". The chair is made in pear.

      I would be very thankful for some advice on my carving problem.

      regards

      Marijn
      St. Thomasguild
      (thomasguild.blogspot.com)
    • Bobby Bourgoin
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5, 2012
        Sorry, I don’t carve much, and when I do it’s with a Dremel... I know it’s cheating, but I also use a table saw, band saw, drill press etc...  I do medieval inspired work with modern tools...

        Bobby