Early six board seachest

  • miltriades
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2012
      Hi All,

      I'm very glad to join this group.

      I have attched several photos of an old six board chest. I purchase it to a local antiquary, here in Spain, five years ago to decor a house which I rented. Now the house is void and have recovered it.

      I have been seen it more carefully and looks very antique. It has old reparations, and has been reinforced with staples of iron and nails in several ocasions since was made. It has two wood hinges.

      An antiquary told me that could be an early six board seachest.

      On the top has two pivots with slots to be fixed, for avoiding being moved during the transport.

      Its size is : 48cm heigt . 82cm. wide and 47cm deep.
      The inside measures: 42 cm. heigt . 73.5cm. wide and 35cm deep.
      The tables measure from 4 to 5cm wide.

      The front face, has carved two Gothic rosettes.

      I should be grateful if anyone you can give me any information about the construction data and what type of wood is made. Is it oak?.

      Thanks,

      Manuel
    • Vels inn Viggladi
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2012
        Morning,

        Great chest, that thing is awesome.

        My gut reaction on it being oak is "no", but that could very well be incorrect. The grain pattern seems all wrong for oak. Looks more like walnut or a fruit wood, possibly ash. The really light wood that is exposed points against walnut, however.

        The patina on the wood looks like someone had coated it with pitch. Images 23 and 24 "Detail Boards Assembly" shows brush strokes that run across the grain. This confuses wood identification because we can't see any of the markers usually associated with oak.

        Overall construction is pretty easy to identify. It's mortise and through tenon construction, and big shoulders all around.

        I really like seeing the carver got carried away and missed his stop on the border.

        Vels

        > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        > From: miltriades@...
        > Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 09:48:04 +0000
        > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Early six board seachest
        >
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I'm very glad to join this group.
        >
        > I have attched several photos of an old six board chest. I purchase it to a local antiquary, here in Spain, five years ago to decor a house which I rented. Now the house is void and have recovered it.
        >
        > I have been seen it more carefully and looks very antique. It has old reparations, and has been reinforced with staples of iron and nails in several ocasions since was made. It has two wood hinges.
        >
        > An antiquary told me that could be an early six board seachest.
        >
        > On the top has two pivots with slots to be fixed, for avoiding being moved during the transport.
        >
        > Its size is : 48cm heigt . 82cm. wide and 47cm deep.
        > The inside measures: 42 cm. heigt . 73.5cm. wide and 35cm deep.
        > The tables measure from 4 to 5cm wide.
        >
        > The front face, has carved two Gothic rosettes.
        >
        > I should be grateful if anyone you can give me any information about the construction data and what type of wood is made. Is it oak?.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Manuel

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Manuel Ponce
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4, 2012
          Many thanks Vels for this visual whole study.

          Manuel