Re: Period lathe references?

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 25, 2012
      Lord Rhys

      > Due to guilds the lathes of a pewterer and a bellmaker are unrelated to
      > woodworking.

      Despite this, the complicated technology of the lathe itself
      transcends a single guild/profession. There is a period depiction of a
      lens-grinders lathe which is essentially a woodworker's spring lathe,
      with the addition of a right-angle pulley at the work center to
      convert it from horizontal to vertical turning action.

      Ralg:
      > References on period lathes tend to be a little thin.

      It's a relative statement. I'd use the word "plentiful and detailed", myself.

      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
      ' | 923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
      ' | "Discere et docere", which means:
      '\|/ "Literature is the art of writing something that will be read
      '/|\ twice; journalism what will be grasped at once."
      //|\\ - Cyril Connolly
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 26, 2012
        I looked at Stuart King's history, and while I agree with a good part of what he says, I don't see any sources. At one point he says, "Leonardo is often attributed to the invention of the wheel lathe but I think it is more likely he was sketching something quite well known in his time. Indeed I think it almost certain that the cranked wheel lathe was known in Roman times." I'd love to see his evidence for that.

        I'm still focusing on the spring pole lathe. What I want to explore is the different ways turners have found to make use of the pole to get the desired effect: long pole staked to the ground, long pole supported above the lathe, short pole at the top of a post, short pole and walking beam combination.

        Thanks for your continued feedback!

        Bayard
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <n7bsn@...> wrote:

        > Well... Stuart King, in his history of the lathe (http://www.stuartking.co.uk/index.php/history-of-the-lathe-part-two-continuous-rotation/ )
      • Ralph
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 27, 2012
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <williams@...> wrote:

          > I looked at Stuart King's history, and while I agree with a good part of what he says, I don't see any sources. At one point he says, "Leonardo is often attributed to the invention of the wheel lathe but I think it is more likely he was sketching something quite well known in his time. Indeed I think it almost certain that the cranked wheel lathe was known in Roman times." I'd love to see his evidence for that.

          King is probably saying that as Da Vinci is known for both coming up with new ideas and repackaging old ideas, without bothering to identify which is which.

          I don't know of any great-wheel type wood lathes in the Roman era, but we know, from the tooling marks on the crown pieces of some auxiliary troop helm's that these crowns where spun and not hammered. The conjecture is they were either made on a water-wheel powered, or great-wheel powered "lathe" type device.

          Ralg
          AnTir
        • Scot Eddy
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 29, 2012
            Ya'll have been awesome with my questions! Thank you!

            I feel kinda bad asking another question, but where can I get a small piece of lumber resawn?

            I don't have a bandsaw and I've struck out with folks I know in the area.

            I have a piece of 1x12 soft maple (3/4" thick) and I'd like to get 3 soundboards out of it. Any ideas?

            Thanks a million!

            Scot
          • Eric
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 29, 2012
              Hi Scot,

              You might try local community colleges. Many have woodshop equipment. You might have to register for an adult class (usually pretty cheap) to have consistent access for a couple of months. Alternatively, you might be able to talk the shop staff into doing some quick work for some sort of donation or barter.

              YIS,
              Eirikr

            • camdus17@juno.com
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 29, 2012

                Hi Scot,

                  Try your State University Co-operative Extension.  Ours (here in Washington State) provides a list of small independent mills.  It was through this list that I found a great small mill in a local community that does my resawing for a reasonable price.

                Domestique,

                  Dunstan

                Mom Is 55, Looks 35…
                Her Clever Wrinkle Therapy Angers Botox Doctors. We Reveal How
                consumerproducts.com
              • Prudentia
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 3, 2012
                  my local home depot will cut any piece of wood for $1 a cut, if you tell them you bought it there orginally they might give you there standard first cut for free, which is there policy.

                  pru
                • Avery Austringer
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 10, 2012
                    > I feel kinda bad asking another question...

                    Don't - people discussing solutions for a problem someone is having is one of the big differences between this list and a lot of Yahoo groups that are just hanging on out there.

                    > I have a piece of 1x12 soft maple (3/4" thick) and I'd like to get 3 soundboards out of it. Any ideas?

                    How thick do these need to be? I ask because even with a good band saw, take away two kerf thicknesses and you're talking about ≈3/16 pieces of wood only if your cut is perfectly straight and vertical.

                    Depending on how often you have to do this and how much of an exciting learning experience you are up for you could make a veneer saw (the traditional making logs into veneer kind, see about half way down here: http://www.antiqbuyer.com/All_Archives/TOOLS_ARCHIVE/archive-saws.htm) and cut it by hand. Plus, you get to look all smug and stuff because you can tell people you cut it by hand with a tool you made yourself. Highland Working and Traditional Woodworker both will sell you a rip blade for a frame saw for less that $20.

                    If you go this route, go all around the piece first with a marking gauge. It will make keeping things straight a lot easier.

                    Avery
                  • Scot Eddy
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 10, 2012
                      Good luck on my end. Thank you all for the advice. I got ahold of the local community college framing and construction department. I have an appointment to get the pieces resawn.

                      Avery, cool pics, but how is it used?

                      Thanks everyone.

                      Jovian

                    • Dave Ordway
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 10, 2012
                        I have had success using a thin blade pull saw.  I have cut shavings to an 1/16th of an inch.  Lowe's currently carries Japanese style saws under the name of Bear.  No bamboo handle but a nice thin blade.  I use them allot for dovetailing and other joinery involved in box and bow making.  Price is good; under 20 bucks but there is a learning curve.  Do not force, let the saw do the work.  And remember, it's a pull saw not a push.

                        Lagerstein

                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 13, 2012
                          Went to our local community college and got 2 boards resawn for free! Cool shop to boot, must find a way to take classes there.

                          Thanks for the suggestion.

                          Grace and Peace,

                          Jovian

                          p.s. Found these shop tips. I already knew a few of them. Others will be incorporated immediately.
                          http://imgur.com/a/e19Ap

                        • conradh@efn.org
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 16, 2012
                            > Went to our local community college and got 2 boards resawn for free! Cool
                            > shop to boot, must find a way to take classes there.
                            >
                            > Thanks for the suggestion.
                            >
                            > Grace and Peace,
                            >
                            > Jovian

                            Check their rates, but a community college adult ed. shop class is often a
                            cheap way to get access to some major power tools in a large space. Often
                            you learn or show you know the basics and after that can just work on your
                            own projects.

                            Ulfhedinn
                          • David
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 16, 2012
                              Even larger colleges often have night courses. I took bronze casting, and many of my fellow students had been taking the same course for 10 years for access to the equipment.