Re: [MedievalSawdust] "Reverence for Wood"

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2012
      > A Reverence for Wood
      >
      > Picked it up many years ago, I like it.
      >
      > It's not any kind of a how-to or pattern book, it's more of a passing
      > glance into various ideosyncracies of early american
      > woodworking/carpentry/construction. But the writing is good, an
      > enjoyable light reading of non-fiction.
      >
      > I have two of his other books, A Museum of Early American Tools and
      > Our Vanishing Landscape. Same writing style, and enjoyable, IMO.

      I like his _Museum of Early American Tools_ and his _Diary of an Early
      American Boy_ the best. His history isn't always right--he sometimes
      talks about something medieval (or older!) as if it had been invented in
      the American colonies--but he's a good illustrator and storyteller with a
      real sense of his period, basically the 18th Century.

      _Diary of an Early American Boy_ happened because he found one. In 1805,
      Noah Blake got a blank book from his parents for his 15th birthday.
      Sloane found that book a century and a half later, and published it. Noah
      wasn't a wordy guy; Sloane takes one of Noah's sentences about his daily
      work and expands it into a page or two explaining what that work, or
      situation, was like for a pioneer family, and illustrating it with his
      nice sketches. And Noah's family was one of those inventive and
      hardworking families that gave New England its reputation--this farm that
      was chopped out of the woods less than twenty years before now has a
      house, barn and several fields, and in the year of the diary they replace
      a bridge over their creek and build a water powered sawmill with a powered
      forge shop on the side.

      Along with the book, he found an inkwell with Noah's initials, and an
      ingenious protractor-level, which I made a copy of. It works well! It's
      a fun book, and someone really should do ones like it for various medieval
      countries and periods. Hmmmm.....