Re: [MedievalSawdust] What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?

  • Michael Sheldon
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 20 10:59 PM
      I keep pieces like that in a box near my workbench. They get used for
      all kinds of things:

      small projects
      shims, reenforcements, etc
      jigs, set-up spacers, etc
      throw-away buffers/protectors (placed under pieces I'm drilling/cutting,
      etc)

      Michael Sheldon

    • conradh@efn.org
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 21 4:34 PM
        Do you need any jigs for particular projects? 3/4 is stiff enough, and
        those pieces are a size that often goes into such things. Band saws and
        table saws can use a lot of those for tenoning and other special cuts, and
        routers need a ton of jigs.

        Even hand tool workers have uses for them. Pieces that size would make
        bench hooks (Screw/glue a block to the top side of one end and the bottom
        side of the other end. Hook a block over your bench and one or two bench
        hooks can support a board for handsawing, chiseling, etc. and keep your
        tools from cutting into the bench.)

        Glue up two or three into a stack and bore holes to organize drill bits,
        chisels, carving tools, etc. Cut them in half the long way and mount on
        wall brackets for tool racks.

        I just used a piece of 3/4 as a base for laminating some bulletwood
        scraps; now I'm carving a hollow in the bulletwood for dishing out blades
        for fireplace shovels.