Re: [MedievalSawdust] What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?

  • bakes
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
      Stackable boxes

      Kris Baker AKA Bakes

      From: Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@...>
      To: "medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com" <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:36 AM
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?

      The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).

      What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?

      Grace and Peace,

      Scot

    • Michael Sheldon
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
        I keep pieces like that in a box near my workbench. They get used for
        all kinds of things:

        small projects
        shims, reenforcements, etc
        jigs, set-up spacers, etc
        throw-away buffers/protectors (placed under pieces I'm drilling/cutting,
        etc)

        Michael Sheldon

      • conradh@efn.org
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
          Do you need any jigs for particular projects? 3/4 is stiff enough, and
          those pieces are a size that often goes into such things. Band saws and
          table saws can use a lot of those for tenoning and other special cuts, and
          routers need a ton of jigs.

          Even hand tool workers have uses for them. Pieces that size would make
          bench hooks (Screw/glue a block to the top side of one end and the bottom
          side of the other end. Hook a block over your bench and one or two bench
          hooks can support a board for handsawing, chiseling, etc. and keep your
          tools from cutting into the bench.)

          Glue up two or three into a stack and bore holes to organize drill bits,
          chisels, carving tools, etc. Cut them in half the long way and mount on
          wall brackets for tool racks.

          I just used a piece of 3/4 as a base for laminating some bulletwood
          scraps; now I'm carving a hollow in the bulletwood for dishing out blades
          for fireplace shovels.