Re: [MedievalSawdust] What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?

  • Bobby Bourgoin
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
      If you want something you can use in the shop (if you use power tools);
      PUSH STICKS...
      I don’t know what you call these but, sheets to prevents drill bits from ripping out the back side of a piece you are working on...
      If you don’t already have one, a dust collection box to put behind your miter saw...

      Game board (Nine man morris, tafl, ) Or like mentioned by others; small chess...

      Bobby

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
        > Lucien
        > ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

        That bridge is in Cleveland, right?
      • John Newton
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
          Greetings Scot,

          How about:
          * push/pull hooks for oven racks
          * small hinged cover lap desks for scribes
          * wooden lantern frames
          * painted shields for kids play or heraldic display

          Masahide

          On 3/20/2012 8:01 AM, medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          > 1a. What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?
          > Posted by: "Scot Eddy" mister_eddy2003@... mister_eddy2003
          > Date: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 pm ((PDT))
          >
          > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
          >
          > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
          >
          > Grace and Peace,
          >
          > Scot

        • Jim Hart
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
            You are going to have be more specific..... size of scraps is going tobe a big factor.

            --
            Jim Hart
              Conal OhAirt

          • bakes
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
              Stackable boxes

              Kris Baker AKA Bakes

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                I keep pieces like that in a box near my workbench. They get used for
                all kinds of things:

                small projects
                shims, reenforcements, etc
                jigs, set-up spacers, etc
                throw-away buffers/protectors (placed under pieces I'm drilling/cutting,
                etc)

                Michael Sheldon

              • conradh@efn.org
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
                  Do you need any jigs for particular projects? 3/4 is stiff enough, and
                  those pieces are a size that often goes into such things. Band saws and
                  table saws can use a lot of those for tenoning and other special cuts, and
                  routers need a ton of jigs.

                  Even hand tool workers have uses for them. Pieces that size would make
                  bench hooks (Screw/glue a block to the top side of one end and the bottom
                  side of the other end. Hook a block over your bench and one or two bench
                  hooks can support a board for handsawing, chiseling, etc. and keep your
                  tools from cutting into the bench.)

                  Glue up two or three into a stack and bore holes to organize drill bits,
                  chisels, carving tools, etc. Cut them in half the long way and mount on
                  wall brackets for tool racks.

                  I just used a piece of 3/4 as a base for laminating some bulletwood
                  scraps; now I'm carving a hollow in the bulletwood for dishing out blades
                  for fireplace shovels.