Re: What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
      Birdhouses?

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@...> wrote:

      > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
      >
      > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
      >
      > Grace and Peace,
      >
      > Scot

    • Bobby Bourgoin
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
        If you want something you can use in the shop (if you use power tools);
        PUSH STICKS...
        I don’t know what you call these but, sheets to prevents drill bits from ripping out the back side of a piece you are working on...
        If you don’t already have one, a dust collection box to put behind your miter saw...

        Game board (Nine man morris, tafl, ) Or like mentioned by others; small chess...

        Bobby

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
          > Lucien
          > ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

          That bridge is in Cleveland, right?
        • John Newton
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
            Greetings Scot,

            How about:
            * push/pull hooks for oven racks
            * small hinged cover lap desks for scribes
            * wooden lantern frames
            * painted shields for kids play or heraldic display

            Masahide

            On 3/20/2012 8:01 AM, medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            > 1a. What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?
            > Posted by: "Scot Eddy" mister_eddy2003@... mister_eddy2003
            > Date: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 pm ((PDT))
            >
            > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
            >
            > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
            >
            > Grace and Peace,
            >
            > Scot

          • Jim Hart
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
              You are going to have be more specific..... size of scraps is going tobe a big factor.

              --
              Jim Hart
                Conal OhAirt

            • bakes
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                Stackable boxes

                Kris Baker AKA Bakes

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                  I keep pieces like that in a box near my workbench. They get used for
                  all kinds of things:

                  small projects
                  shims, reenforcements, etc
                  jigs, set-up spacers, etc
                  throw-away buffers/protectors (placed under pieces I'm drilling/cutting,
                  etc)

                  Michael Sheldon

                • conradh@efn.org
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
                    Do you need any jigs for particular projects? 3/4 is stiff enough, and
                    those pieces are a size that often goes into such things. Band saws and
                    table saws can use a lot of those for tenoning and other special cuts, and
                    routers need a ton of jigs.

                    Even hand tool workers have uses for them. Pieces that size would make
                    bench hooks (Screw/glue a block to the top side of one end and the bottom
                    side of the other end. Hook a block over your bench and one or two bench
                    hooks can support a board for handsawing, chiseling, etc. and keep your
                    tools from cutting into the bench.)

                    Glue up two or three into a stack and bore holes to organize drill bits,
                    chisels, carving tools, etc. Cut them in half the long way and mount on
                    wall brackets for tool racks.

                    I just used a piece of 3/4 as a base for laminating some bulletwood
                    scraps; now I'm carving a hollow in the bulletwood for dishing out blades
                    for fireplace shovels.