Re: [MedievalSawdust] What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?

  • Jim Looper
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012

      Host a "Make-it Take-it" day to make boxes for newcomers in your area.

      Lucien

      ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

      The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).

      What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?

      Grace and Peace,

      Scot

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
        Birdhouses?

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@...> wrote:

        > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
        >
        > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
        >
        > Grace and Peace,
        >
        > Scot

      • Bobby Bourgoin
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
          If you want something you can use in the shop (if you use power tools);
          PUSH STICKS...
          I don’t know what you call these but, sheets to prevents drill bits from ripping out the back side of a piece you are working on...
          If you don’t already have one, a dust collection box to put behind your miter saw...

          Game board (Nine man morris, tafl, ) Or like mentioned by others; small chess...

          Bobby

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
            > Lucien
            > ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

            That bridge is in Cleveland, right?
          • John Newton
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
              Greetings Scot,

              How about:
              * push/pull hooks for oven racks
              * small hinged cover lap desks for scribes
              * wooden lantern frames
              * painted shields for kids play or heraldic display

              Masahide

              On 3/20/2012 8:01 AM, medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:
              > 1a. What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?
              > Posted by: "Scot Eddy" mister_eddy2003@... mister_eddy2003
              > Date: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 pm ((PDT))
              >
              > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
              >
              > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
              >
              > Grace and Peace,
              >
              > Scot

            • Jim Hart
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                You are going to have be more specific..... size of scraps is going tobe a big factor.

                --
                Jim Hart
                  Conal OhAirt

              • bakes
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                  Stackable boxes

                  Kris Baker AKA Bakes

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                    I keep pieces like that in a box near my workbench. They get used for
                    all kinds of things:

                    small projects
                    shims, reenforcements, etc
                    jigs, set-up spacers, etc
                    throw-away buffers/protectors (placed under pieces I'm drilling/cutting,
                    etc)

                    Michael Sheldon

                  • conradh@efn.org
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
                      Do you need any jigs for particular projects? 3/4 is stiff enough, and
                      those pieces are a size that often goes into such things. Band saws and
                      table saws can use a lot of those for tenoning and other special cuts, and
                      routers need a ton of jigs.

                      Even hand tool workers have uses for them. Pieces that size would make
                      bench hooks (Screw/glue a block to the top side of one end and the bottom
                      side of the other end. Hook a block over your bench and one or two bench
                      hooks can support a board for handsawing, chiseling, etc. and keep your
                      tools from cutting into the bench.)

                      Glue up two or three into a stack and bore holes to organize drill bits,
                      chisels, carving tools, etc. Cut them in half the long way and mount on
                      wall brackets for tool racks.

                      I just used a piece of 3/4 as a base for laminating some bulletwood
                      scraps; now I'm carving a hollow in the bulletwood for dishing out blades
                      for fireplace shovels.