"Reverence for Wood"

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 18, 2012
      www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486433943/ref=nosim/kkorg-20

      Looks good. Haven't read it yet.
    • Michael Sheldon
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2012
        On 03/18/2012 10:35 AM, Broom wrote:
        > www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0486433943/ref=nosim/kkorg-20
        >
        > Looks good. Haven't read it yet.

        A Reverence for Wood

        Picked it up many years ago, I like it.

        It's not any kind of a how-to or pattern book, it's more of a passing
        glance into various ideosyncracies of early american
        woodworking/carpentry/construction. But the writing is good, an
        enjoyable light reading of non-fiction.

        I have two of his other books, A Museum of Early American Tools and
        Our Vanishing Landscape. Same writing style, and enjoyable, IMO.

        Michael Sheldon
      • conradh@efn.org
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 21, 2012
          > A Reverence for Wood
          >
          > Picked it up many years ago, I like it.
          >
          > It's not any kind of a how-to or pattern book, it's more of a passing
          > glance into various ideosyncracies of early american
          > woodworking/carpentry/construction. But the writing is good, an
          > enjoyable light reading of non-fiction.
          >
          > I have two of his other books, A Museum of Early American Tools and
          > Our Vanishing Landscape. Same writing style, and enjoyable, IMO.

          I like his _Museum of Early American Tools_ and his _Diary of an Early
          American Boy_ the best. His history isn't always right--he sometimes
          talks about something medieval (or older!) as if it had been invented in
          the American colonies--but he's a good illustrator and storyteller with a
          real sense of his period, basically the 18th Century.

          _Diary of an Early American Boy_ happened because he found one. In 1805,
          Noah Blake got a blank book from his parents for his 15th birthday.
          Sloane found that book a century and a half later, and published it. Noah
          wasn't a wordy guy; Sloane takes one of Noah's sentences about his daily
          work and expands it into a page or two explaining what that work, or
          situation, was like for a pioneer family, and illustrating it with his
          nice sketches. And Noah's family was one of those inventive and
          hardworking families that gave New England its reputation--this farm that
          was chopped out of the woods less than twenty years before now has a
          house, barn and several fields, and in the year of the diary they replace
          a bridge over their creek and build a water powered sawmill with a powered
          forge shop on the side.

          Along with the book, he found an inkwell with Noah's initials, and an
          ingenious protractor-level, which I made a copy of. It works well! It's
          a fun book, and someone really should do ones like it for various medieval
          countries and periods. Hmmmm.....