Video- Recontructing a Norse House

  • barondevin@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2012
      This turned up on another list I'm on:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4746vgMS-w

      It's about timber-frame construction and log cabin building the old Norse way. It's in Norwegian and 46 minutes long, but I found it worth a look.

      Devin

      "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)
    • buck_shomo
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2012
        Thanks. Watched most of it and am in great envy of the skill levels of the craftsmen. As a tangent, have you ever seen the PBS documentary about the guy who retired to Alaska in the late '50s (maybe mid-'60s) and filmed himself building a log cabin. Kind of fascinating.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, barondevin@... wrote:

        > This turned up on another list I'm on:
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4746vgMS-w
        >
        > It's about timber-frame construction and log cabin building the old Norse way. It's in Norwegian and 46 minutes long, but I found it worth a look.
        >
        > Devin
        >
        > "The mass of Men lead lives of quiet desperation because some fool poet has borrowed their tools." R. Underhill (para.)

      • d6crawler
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2012
          That would be this guy:

          http://www.dickproenneke.com/

          Awesome documentary. The cabin is still there and maintained by the parks service.