Re: [MedievalSawdust] Woodworking at Estrella War

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
      Dang. NOW I'm ticked im missing Estrella this year.

      On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM, John LaTorre <jlatorre@...> wrote:

      Greetings (and apologies in advance for the cross-posting)!

      This is to let you know that I'll be bringing my wood shop to the
      Estrella War Period Demo Area. Please come by to look or, even better,
      help me make wood chips and shavings and sawdust. I'll have table space
      and my workbench for you to use, as well as enough tools to actually
      make something. You bring your tools and wood and skills, and we'll have
      a blast.

      I haven't decided exactly what projects I'm bringing, but they will
      probably include a six-board box and the rebec (period fiddle) that I've
      been working on for some time now.

      For those who don't know, the Estrella War is held near Phoenix,
      Arizona, and this year it will take place at the end of March.

      I'll also be teaching two classes: one is a tentmaking seminar, and the
      other is an introduction to making and using period vegetable oil lamps,
      where if you bring a vessel or two (like a jelly jar), you can walk out
      with a functional lamp. Details are on the Estrella Web site.

      Johann von Drachenfels
      West Kingdom

    • conradh@efn.org
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 6, 2012
        Milord Johann--you make me (for the first time in my life!) wish I lived
        near Phoenix!

        I see you're based in the West--any chance of getting you up to AnTir
        events with your presentations and classes? I've very much enjoyed the
        working-craft areas in events I've attended, and now bring a _period_
        blacksmith shop to add to them. Alessaundre and some others already bring
        a period woodshop to Egils Tourney in Adiantum, but the more the better.

        Ulfhedinn
      • Royce
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 14, 2012

          Seconded…

          The wife and I decided on Pennsic this year instead of Estrella…

          Johann, If you ever decide to do anything down in Caid, I would be very interested.

          Bercilak

          Starkhafn, Caid.