turning parts AFTER center drilling

  • Jim Hart
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 11, 2012
      My first try at turning parts after center drilling went....ok

      http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r295/ConalOhAirt/griptest1.jpg

      I turned some plugs and stuck them in the holes I center drilled and proceeded to turn the part.
      The plugs are tapered so they kinf of jam into the hole...

      I got lots of wobble through out the turning process... the plugs shifted their axis during the
      turning..... Not enough to ruin the part but enough that if was annoying.

      Suggestions?

      --
      Jim Hart
        Conal OhAirt

    • Sean Powell
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2012
        Wait, I'm trying to understand this. You drilled holes for a live center on the tail stock and then PLUGGED it tried to turn it on the plug? Why?

        My background is in metal turning so if there is a reason I don't get please inform me.

        Sean

        On 1/11/2012 3:23 PM, Jim Hart wrote: My first try at turning parts after center drilling went....ok

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 11, 2012

            I think you sound eliminate the wobble if instead of using plugs, construct a mandrel.  Take a look at a pen turning mandrel for an example.

            Charles Joiner

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 12, 2012
              Charles has a solid idea, check out pen mandrels and see if that works.

              Something else I have done is drive with a dead center in the middle of one side and a sharp-cone live center (like a Oneway) on the other

              Ralg
              AnTir
            • Ron
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 14, 2012
                How large a hole? I've turned a number of dagger handles with a through hole, but I don't plug the hole. I use a cone live center at one end, and a friction drive or pin cuck on the headstock end. I've turned enough that I bought a light pull drive from Craft Supply but have since found it cheaper at Packard Woodworks,

                http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=lathes-acc-cent-drivcent-lighpull

                Tightening the tail stock provides enough friction to let you turn the handle.

                You could make your own friction drive. You basically need a flat surface with a short dowel of the appropriate diameter sticking out the front, centered on the lathe axis. Mount a waste block in a chuck or faceplate, turn it flat across the face, and drill a hole for a dowel to be glued in. Slide the drilled handle blank over the dowel, bring up the tail stock to provide pressure, and you'll have enough friction to turn. If need be, glue some sandpaper to the face of your drive to get more grip.

                Bayard

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Jim Hart <conalohairt@...> wrote:

                > I've drilled a hole through the ENTIRE piece and turned a piece centered
                > around the hole
                > for a rondel dagger grip
              • Ron
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 18, 2012
                  I tried to describe this, but they say a picture is worth a 100 words, so a video must fill a book. I shot this with my little Olympus camera, and unfortunately, it came out quite small, but I think you'll get the idea.

                  http://youtu.be/CVxuyQHwG6g