Re: [MedievalSawdust] (unknown)

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012

      > Don't forget that you can make a plane from pretty
      > much any hardwood that you wish, there are historical examples for a
      > number of different woods.  In Europe beech was common and not a
      > furniture wood, also it happens to have lots of other good properties that
      > make is a good tool wood.  I forget which modern wood plane maker
      > builds most of his with Cherry because he can source blocks of it.

      > I got a nice turning block of Ash that was perfectly cut for
      > plane making, so when I get up the energy I'm going to cut the mortice
      > fully by hand ...

      I did that--built a monster jointer copying the one in Bourdichon's shop
      painting of about 1500. I used local ash from a hardwood dealer here in
      Oregon, and it's been quite stable since. The largest offcut made a vise
      jaw for my portable bench.

      Ash was definitely used for planes in period, too--one of the _Mary Rose_
      planes was made of ash, and oak was commoner than beech.

      Ulfhedinn