Re: [MedievalSawdust] Digest Number 2819

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2012
      >That could work ok but I would use a shovel bit. The sides of the shovel bit
      >would hug the wall of the started hole and keep it more straight than an auger.

      This is what I needed to knock loose a memory of something I saw "somewhere" -
      maybe an old best of fine woodworking. If you can get a reasonably straight
      starter hole, say 3/8 in diameter, cut a kerf in a piece of slightly under 3/8th
      dowel so that it will cover the guide point of a spade bit, then drill with that
      assembly (there may have been a drop or two of super glue in there. Since the
      guide point of the spade bit is now sheathed, it pretty much has to follow the
      3/8ths guide hole. At least, that's how I understood the theory.

      (I have never tried this myself, so try this out on something from your scrap
      bin before you trash something you've put a zillion hours of work into and hate
      me forever!)

      Avery