Center drilling cheat?

  • Jim Hart
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 28, 2011
      I need to center drill an item before I turn it on my lathe and I do not have a drill chuck for the tail stock
      and my bench top drill press may not have a long enough travel distance.

      And right now I just have a spur center for the headstock.....

      Anyone have a cheat?

      --
      Jim Hart
        Conal OhAirt

    • Beth and Bob Matney
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 28, 2011
        Rip in half, rabbit or route down the middle, re-glue the halves together.

        Beth

        At 09:08 AM 12/28/2011, you wrote:
        >I need to center drill an item before I turn it on my lathe and I do
        >not have a drill chuck for the tail stock
        >and my bench top drill press may not have a long enough travel distance.
        >
        >And right now I just have a spur center for the headstock.....
        >
        >Anyone have a cheat?
      • Jim Hart
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 28, 2011

          I've  considered that.... I'm looking for other possible options

          without ripping?

          --
          Jim Hart
            Conal OhAirt

        • Vels inn Viggladi
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 28, 2011
            I think I noticed long boring bits selling for about $10 at the Despot last night (1/4"?). If you have a bit-brace, just chuck it up and go at it on the horizontal.
            To keep plumb and square, clamp the piece to your bench and put a ring on the boring bit. As you turn the brace the ring will wander if you are not square and plumb. This means the piece needs to be plumb when you clamp it.

            Bob Rozaieski did a video of this technique here : http://logancabinetshoppe.com/blog/2010/05/quick-tip-6/

            If you need it really deep, boring from both sides will get you there fine and will help keep things centered the whole way through.

            Vels

            To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            From: conalohairt@...
            Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:55:49 -0500
            Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Center drilling cheat?

            --
            Jim Hart
              Conal OhAirt

          • Jim Hart

              From: conalohairt@...
              Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:55:49 -0500

              --
              Jim Hart
                Conal OhAirt

              Jim Hart
                Conal OhAirt

            • powell.sean@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 28, 2011

                I like that ring trick too. I'll have to remember it for next time.

                When I was stuck in the same situation drilling pennant poles for the top of my tent I did the following:

                I cut an inch off the main stock, found its center and drilled it carefulling on my drill press. Then I clamped the stubby piece back in place and hand-drilled a short depth. Then I seperated the stubby piece from the end by about 6" and clamped them to a sawhorse and straight piece of angle iron. Now I had 2 'bushings' to drill through and I knew the location of the exit of the small one aligned perfectly with the entrance to the big piece. Now any misalignment from the drill press (and clamping) would only reoccur every 6" of drill depth.

                It's kind of like stretching pistol sites farther apart into rifle sites but you have to plan your base stock so it can be cut shorter.

                Oh yeah, If it's round I made a quick v-block by ripping two 45degree cuts in a 2x4.

                Good luck!

                Sean

                From: conalohairt@...
                Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 10:55:49 -0500

                --
                Jim Hart
                  Conal OhAirt

                Jim Hart
                  Conal OhAirt

              • David Whitby
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 29, 2011
                  Could you use the drill press to get as far as possible and then use an auger? If the first 3 to 4” is straight and true, the auger should happily carry on in the same direction.
                  In my experience, when drilling long distances into end grain the drill tends to wander a bit anyway. What I tend to do is to drill the hole and then mount the wood on a mandrel to turn the outside true to the axis of the hole.

                  Ed
                • Colonel
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2012
                    That could work ok but I would use a shovel bit. The sides of the shovel bit would hug the wall of the started hole and keep it more straight than an auger.

                    Tom