Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: bordes from logges

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 20, 2011
      > thanks, drew. i'm 1360 myself, but i'm interested in the shift from
      > riving to sawing. i'd expect that to happen in various places at
      > different times. what do you think drove that shift? scarcity of
      > material? better metalworking techniques for saws? romans had and used
      > saws but...

      AFAIK it indeed happened at different times, and I suspect that it
      correlates with the severe depletion of timber resources that began during
      the Middle Ages. While it took a while to achieve full deforestation, and
      forestry reform, the straight grain needed for good riving came largely
      from old-growth trees that were heavily shaded as seedlings and all their
      early years. Riving really long planks is possible with such trees, and
      declined as they were logged out, whether you're talking about planks for
      clinker-built ships in Northern Europe or 30-40 foot cedar planks for
      house boards on the NW coast of North America.