Re: [MedievalSawdust] Where can I find boxwood

  • Alaric the cruel
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
      Woodfinder provides a list of lumber yards who carry the supply.

      What is best in life?
      To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the Romans.

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 17, 2011
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Alaric the cruel <alaric_the_cruel@...> wrote:

        > Woodfinder provides a list of lumber yards who carry the supply.

        Woodfinder is not perfect, but it certainly is the best single-point source that Ellis can make it

        Ralg
        AnTir
      • Scot Eddy
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 19, 2012
          The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).

          What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?

          Grace and Peace,

          Scot
        • Peter Owlett
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
            small chest<table top> or cubbyhole carry all

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012

              Host a "Make-it Take-it" day to make boxes for newcomers in your area.

              Lucien

              ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

              The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).

              What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?

              Grace and Peace,

              Scot

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                Birdhouses?

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@...> wrote:

                > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
                >
                > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
                >
                > Grace and Peace,
                >
                > Scot

              • Bobby Bourgoin
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                  If you want something you can use in the shop (if you use power tools);
                  PUSH STICKS...
                  I don’t know what you call these but, sheets to prevents drill bits from ripping out the back side of a piece you are working on...
                  If you don’t already have one, a dust collection box to put behind your miter saw...

                  Game board (Nine man morris, tafl, ) Or like mentioned by others; small chess...

                  Bobby

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                    > Lucien
                    > ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

                    That bridge is in Cleveland, right?
                  • John Newton
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                      Greetings Scot,

                      How about:
                      * push/pull hooks for oven racks
                      * small hinged cover lap desks for scribes
                      * wooden lantern frames
                      * painted shields for kids play or heraldic display

                      Masahide

                      On 3/20/2012 8:01 AM, medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                      > 1a. What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?
                      > Posted by: "Scot Eddy" mister_eddy2003@... mister_eddy2003
                      > Date: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 pm ((PDT))
                      >
                      > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
                      >
                      > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
                      >
                      > Grace and Peace,
                      >
                      > Scot

                    • Jim Hart
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                        You are going to have be more specific..... size of scraps is going tobe a big factor.

                        --
                        Jim Hart
                          Conal OhAirt

                      • bakes
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                          Stackable boxes

                          Kris Baker AKA Bakes

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                            I keep pieces like that in a box near my workbench. They get used for
                            all kinds of things:

                            small projects
                            shims, reenforcements, etc
                            jigs, set-up spacers, etc
                            throw-away buffers/protectors (placed under pieces I'm drilling/cutting,
                            etc)

                            Michael Sheldon

                          • conradh@efn.org
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
                              Do you need any jigs for particular projects? 3/4 is stiff enough, and
                              those pieces are a size that often goes into such things. Band saws and
                              table saws can use a lot of those for tenoning and other special cuts, and
                              routers need a ton of jigs.

                              Even hand tool workers have uses for them. Pieces that size would make
                              bench hooks (Screw/glue a block to the top side of one end and the bottom
                              side of the other end. Hook a block over your bench and one or two bench
                              hooks can support a board for handsawing, chiseling, etc. and keep your
                              tools from cutting into the bench.)

                              Glue up two or three into a stack and bore holes to organize drill bits,
                              chisels, carving tools, etc. Cut them in half the long way and mount on
                              wall brackets for tool racks.

                              I just used a piece of 3/4 as a base for laminating some bulletwood
                              scraps; now I'm carving a hollow in the bulletwood for dishing out blades
                              for fireplace shovels.