Re: Where can I find boxwood

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
      > I would definitely like to try combs.
      >
      > Does anyone know where to get boxwood?

      Jovian,it's not a direct answer, but you could practice on bone from
      the butcher. Cheaper, and also period.

      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
      ' | 923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
      '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
      '/|\ "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and
      //|\\ eat a live bee." - Astro Zombie, Metafilter
    • Alaric the cruel
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
        Woodfinder provides a list of lumber yards who carry the supply.

        What is best in life?
        To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the Romans.

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 17, 2011
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Alaric the cruel <alaric_the_cruel@...> wrote:

          > Woodfinder provides a list of lumber yards who carry the supply.

          Woodfinder is not perfect, but it certainly is the best single-point source that Ellis can make it

          Ralg
          AnTir
        • Scot Eddy
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 19, 2012
            The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).

            What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?

            Grace and Peace,

            Scot
          • Peter Owlett
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
              small chest<table top> or cubbyhole carry all

              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012

                Host a "Make-it Take-it" day to make boxes for newcomers in your area.

                Lucien

                ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

                The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).

                What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?

                Grace and Peace,

                Scot

              • Mark
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                  Birdhouses?

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@...> wrote:

                  > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
                  >
                  > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
                  >
                  > Grace and Peace,
                  >
                  > Scot

                • Bobby Bourgoin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                    If you want something you can use in the shop (if you use power tools);
                    PUSH STICKS...
                    I don’t know what you call these but, sheets to prevents drill bits from ripping out the back side of a piece you are working on...
                    If you don’t already have one, a dust collection box to put behind your miter saw...

                    Game board (Nine man morris, tafl, ) Or like mentioned by others; small chess...

                    Bobby

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                      > Lucien
                      > ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

                      That bridge is in Cleveland, right?
                    • John Newton
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                        Greetings Scot,

                        How about:
                        * push/pull hooks for oven racks
                        * small hinged cover lap desks for scribes
                        * wooden lantern frames
                        * painted shields for kids play or heraldic display

                        Masahide

                        On 3/20/2012 8:01 AM, medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                        > 1a. What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?
                        > Posted by: "Scot Eddy" mister_eddy2003@... mister_eddy2003
                        > Date: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 pm ((PDT))
                        >
                        > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
                        >
                        > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
                        >
                        > Grace and Peace,
                        >
                        > Scot

                      • Jim Hart
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                          You are going to have be more specific..... size of scraps is going tobe a big factor.

                          --
                          Jim Hart
                            Conal OhAirt

                        • bakes
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                            Stackable boxes

                            Kris Baker AKA Bakes

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                              I keep pieces like that in a box near my workbench. They get used for
                              all kinds of things:

                              small projects
                              shims, reenforcements, etc
                              jigs, set-up spacers, etc
                              throw-away buffers/protectors (placed under pieces I'm drilling/cutting,
                              etc)

                              Michael Sheldon

                            • conradh@efn.org
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
                                Do you need any jigs for particular projects? 3/4 is stiff enough, and
                                those pieces are a size that often goes into such things. Band saws and
                                table saws can use a lot of those for tenoning and other special cuts, and
                                routers need a ton of jigs.

                                Even hand tool workers have uses for them. Pieces that size would make
                                bench hooks (Screw/glue a block to the top side of one end and the bottom
                                side of the other end. Hook a block over your bench and one or two bench
                                hooks can support a board for handsawing, chiseling, etc. and keep your
                                tools from cutting into the bench.)

                                Glue up two or three into a stack and bore holes to organize drill bits,
                                chisels, carving tools, etc. Cut them in half the long way and mount on
                                wall brackets for tool racks.

                                I just used a piece of 3/4 as a base for laminating some bulletwood
                                scraps; now I'm carving a hollow in the bulletwood for dishing out blades
                                for fireplace shovels.