Where can I find boxwood

  • Scot Eddy
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 14, 2011
      Our local lumberyards and sawmills don't seem to carry it, I can't find it in dimension lumber online.

      I would definitely like to try combs.

      Does anyone know where to get boxwood?

      Thanks!

      Jovian
    • Dan Baker

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 14, 2011
          Re: [MedievalSawdust] Where can I find boxwood
          Never ordered from them, but Vienna Hardwood (in VA) appears to have some in 4/4 and 8/4:

          http://www.viennahardwood.com/products.html

          Not sure if it’s the actual Buxus or a Castello, but there’s also Gilmer Wood (in OR) which carries Buxus in logs/half-logs/sections and also Castello in varying sizes:

          https://www.gilmerwood.com/search_results.php?keywords=boxwood&page=1

          -Bill

          On 12/14/11 6:21 PM, "Dan Baker" <LordRhys@...> wrote:

          English import, you are going to either have to have it shipped or find an importer, either way it isn't going to be cheap

          -Capten Rhys

          On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@...> wrote:

          Our local lumberyards and sawmills don't seem to carry it, I can't find it in dimension lumber online.

          I would definitely like to try combs.

          Does anyone know where to get boxwood?

          Thanks!

          Jovian

        • Broom
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
            > I would definitely like to try combs.
            >
            > Does anyone know where to get boxwood?

            Jovian,it's not a direct answer, but you could practice on bone from
            the butcher. Cheaper, and also period.

            ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
            ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
            ' | 923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
            '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
            '/|\ "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and
            //|\\ eat a live bee." - Astro Zombie, Metafilter
          • Alaric the cruel
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 15, 2011
              Woodfinder provides a list of lumber yards who carry the supply.

              What is best in life?
              To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the Romans.

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 17, 2011
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Alaric the cruel <alaric_the_cruel@...> wrote:

                > Woodfinder provides a list of lumber yards who carry the supply.

                Woodfinder is not perfect, but it certainly is the best single-point source that Ellis can make it

                Ralg
                AnTir
              • Scot Eddy
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 19, 2012
                  The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).

                  What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?

                  Grace and Peace,

                  Scot
                • Peter Owlett
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                    small chest<table top> or cubbyhole carry all

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012

                      Host a "Make-it Take-it" day to make boxes for newcomers in your area.

                      Lucien

                      ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

                      The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).

                      What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?

                      Grace and Peace,

                      Scot

                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                        Birdhouses?

                        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Scot Eddy <mister_eddy2003@...> wrote:

                        > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
                        >
                        > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
                        >
                        > Grace and Peace,
                        >
                        > Scot

                      • Bobby Bourgoin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                          If you want something you can use in the shop (if you use power tools);
                          PUSH STICKS...
                          I don’t know what you call these but, sheets to prevents drill bits from ripping out the back side of a piece you are working on...
                          If you don’t already have one, a dust collection box to put behind your miter saw...

                          Game board (Nine man morris, tafl, ) Or like mentioned by others; small chess...

                          Bobby

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                            > Lucien
                            > ...we can burn that river when we cross a bridge over a bush with two birds in glass houses.

                            That bridge is in Cleveland, right?
                          • John Newton
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                              Greetings Scot,

                              How about:
                              * push/pull hooks for oven racks
                              * small hinged cover lap desks for scribes
                              * wooden lantern frames
                              * painted shields for kids play or heraldic display

                              Masahide

                              On 3/20/2012 8:01 AM, medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                              > 1a. What todo with 3/4 plywood scrap?
                              > Posted by: "Scot Eddy" mister_eddy2003@... mister_eddy2003
                              > Date: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:36 pm ((PDT))
                              >
                              > The title pretty much says it all. I have smallish pieces about the size of a sheet of paper (a few are long and narrow).
                              >
                              > What can I do with them? I hate to waste it, but the drive to throw junk away is pretty strong. Any ideas?
                              >
                              > Grace and Peace,
                              >
                              > Scot

                            • Jim Hart
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                                You are going to have be more specific..... size of scraps is going tobe a big factor.

                                --
                                Jim Hart
                                  Conal OhAirt

                              • bakes
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                                  Stackable boxes

                                  Kris Baker AKA Bakes

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 20, 2012
                                    I keep pieces like that in a box near my workbench. They get used for
                                    all kinds of things:

                                    small projects
                                    shims, reenforcements, etc
                                    jigs, set-up spacers, etc
                                    throw-away buffers/protectors (placed under pieces I'm drilling/cutting,
                                    etc)

                                    Michael Sheldon

                                  • conradh@efn.org
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Mar 21, 2012
                                      Do you need any jigs for particular projects? 3/4 is stiff enough, and
                                      those pieces are a size that often goes into such things. Band saws and
                                      table saws can use a lot of those for tenoning and other special cuts, and
                                      routers need a ton of jigs.

                                      Even hand tool workers have uses for them. Pieces that size would make
                                      bench hooks (Screw/glue a block to the top side of one end and the bottom
                                      side of the other end. Hook a block over your bench and one or two bench
                                      hooks can support a board for handsawing, chiseling, etc. and keep your
                                      tools from cutting into the bench.)

                                      Glue up two or three into a stack and bore holes to organize drill bits,
                                      chisels, carving tools, etc. Cut them in half the long way and mount on
                                      wall brackets for tool racks.

                                      I just used a piece of 3/4 as a base for laminating some bulletwood
                                      scraps; now I'm carving a hollow in the bulletwood for dishing out blades
                                      for fireplace shovels.