Re: [medievalsawdust] 1x12

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 18, 2004
      Quoting "" <kjworz@...>:

      > I bought a 10 foot long 8/4 white pine board last year. It's 22 inches wide
      > and clear as a bell.
      >
      > They are out there. You just have to look.

      I've completely given up on the home supply stores and concentrate on real
      lumber suppliers. It helps to show up often and keep an eye on their surplus.
      A few years ago I got some really beautiful 5/4 Southern Yellow Pine (hard,
      resinous stuff that wears like oak) that were ordered as stair treads but the
      contractor cancelled the order. They made beautiful benches, and I got them
      cheap because they had already been cut to length.

      My most recent acquisition was about 10 board feet of 8/4 English Beech.
      Beautiful wood, straight grained and clear. The merchant didn't even know he
      had it in stock, it was hiding behind a pile of 4/4 boards. Will probably end
      up as a turned chair.

      Fin

      --
      Tom Rettie tom@...
      www.his.com/~tom/index.html
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 18, 2004
        This is sort of what I do. I've got about 500 board-feet of wild cherry
        that I got for free and 200 board feet of walnut that I got for $2/foot.

        I try to be ready to accept all wood when I find it, and then have it
        stock when inspiration hits.

        But you've got to have storage space to pull that off.

        Will

        > I bought a 10 foot long 8/4 white pine board last year. It's 22
        inches wide
        > and clear as a bell.
        >
        > They are out there. You just have to look.

        I've completely given up on the home supply stores and concentrate on
        real
        lumber suppliers. It helps to show up often and keep an eye on their
        surplus.
        A few years ago I got some really beautiful 5/4 Southern Yellow Pine
        (hard,
        resinous stuff that wears like oak) that were ordered as stair treads
        but the
        contractor cancelled the order. They made beautiful benches, and I got
        them
        cheap because they had already been cut to length.

        My most recent acquisition was about 10 board feet of 8/4 English Beech.

        Beautiful wood, straight grained and clear. The merchant didn't even
        know he
        had it in stock, it was hiding behind a pile of 4/4 boards. Will
        probably end
        up as a turned chair.

        Fin

        --
        Tom Rettie tom@...
        www.his.com/~tom/index.html

      • Dragano Abbruciati
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 18, 2004
          Here in the Florida panhandle we have a lumber yard that specializes in hardwood of all kinds...oak, teak, beech, cherry, you-name-it.  I was there a few months back and they had a 3" thick, 34" wide, 16' long HUNK of black walnut.  I was drooling right up until I asked the price.  He said he could let it go "as is" for about $3,500.  <gulp>

          Dragano

        • kjworz@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 18, 2004
            Wow! Think of all the ink pens you could make out that board, turning them on one of those mini-lathes.....

            (...ducking for cover...)

            --
            -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
            Stealth #97

            Here in the Florida panhandle we have a lumber yard that specializes in hardwood of all kinds...oak, teak, beech, cherry, you-name-it. I was there a few months back and they had a 3" thick, 34" wide, 16' long HUNK of black walnut. I was drooling right up until I asked the price. He said he could let it go "as is" for about $3,500. <gulp>
          • Mark Flebotte
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 18, 2004
              I think a dining room table would be a better use.

              Mark

              PS where in the panhandle?

              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 18, 2004
                Santa Rosa Beach.

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 18, 2004
                    no, hand carved toohpicks....

                    --- Mark Flebotte <maf@...> wrote:
                    > I think a dining room table would be a better use.
                    >
                    > Mark
                    >
                    > PS where in the panhandle?

                    =====
                    Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                    Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 18, 2004
                      no, hand carved toothpicks....

                      =====

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 22, 2004
                        May your dust-collector ever clog.

                        Pen blanks indeed!

                        Will

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 22, 2004
                          May your smoothing plane find hidden knots.

                          Will

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 22, 2004
                            What is this thing called, "Dust Collector"? Is that your name for the
                            apprentice you have sweep up? Or is it the name of the broom itself?

                            Wow! Think of all the ink pens you could make out that board, turning
                            them on one of those mini-lathes.....

                            (...ducking for cover...)
                          • Arthur Slaughter
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 22, 2004
                              Dust collector?  Ya mean I am not supposed to be arse deep in chips?  Oh the wonders of this modern society!
                              Finn

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 22, 2004
                                --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
                                > May your smoothing plane find hidden knots.
                                >
                                > Will

                                My favorite Japanses pull saw found a nail
                                that some butthead drove into the endgrain
                                of a board.

                                Absolutely no clus that it was there, or
                                why it was there.....

                                Does that count?

                                =====

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 22, 2004
                                  --- C N Schwartz <kjworz@...> wrote:

                                  > What is this thing called, "Dust Collector"? Is
                                  > that your name for the
                                  > apprentice you have sweep up? Or is it the name of
                                  > the broom itself?

                                  Don't you end up with mostly...shavings... if you
                                  are using period tools?

                                  =====
                                  Baron Conal O'hAirt / Jim Hart
                                  Seneschal, Barony of Fenix

                                  http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
                                • C N Schwartz
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 22, 2004
                                    shavings chips scraps and SOME sawdust.

                                    not the kind of quantity sawdust that people get with the finger eating
                                    apprentices or the 'sharkskin on a drum' apprentices, mind you....

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 22, 2004
                                      Your beard, of course.

                                      Yeeesh.

                                      Will

                                      What is this thing called, "Dust Collector"? Is that your name for the
                                      apprentice you have sweep up? Or is it the name of the broom itself?

                                      Wow! Think of all the ink pens you could make out that board, turning
                                      them on one of those mini-lathes.....

                                      (...ducking for cover...)

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 22, 2004
                                        Sorry. I only meant to ill-wish you to the point of annoyance, not
                                        actual repair.

                                        Hope it's okay.

                                        Will

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 11, 2004
                                          Tom,
                                          What do you consider "real lumber suppliers?"

                                          Will
                                        • kjworz@comcast.net
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 11, 2004
                                            A place that will sell you lumber that is listed a "4/4 Select". A place where you can buy Maple, White Oak, Walnut, Purpleheart, AND Wenge. A place where I can buy wood, maybe screws and hinges, but NOT toilets. A place where the wood is not surfaced on all four sides, and may not be surfaced on 2. A place that's called "Lumber Yard" and not "Home Center." In other words, a place named "Mizell Lumber" and not "Lowes", "TruValu", or "Home Despot".

                                            Though I once found a long wide piece of walnut in a big Home Center type place in the DC area called Hechingers. I about fainted when I saw it.

                                            --
                                            -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                                            Stealth #97

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 11, 2004
                                              We've got a GREAT place here in Knoxville. A little family business
                                              that carries woods like that, and also knows about Zebrawood, Lemonwood,
                                              and Holly.

                                              They're even willing to order genuine, honest-to-gosh English Brown Oak,
                                              if you've got the credit rating for it. And you don't pay until you see
                                              the wood and okay it.

                                              Will

                                              A place that will sell you lumber that is listed a "4/4 Select". A
                                              place where you can buy Maple, White Oak, Walnut, Purpleheart, AND
                                              Wenge. A place where I can buy wood, maybe screws and hinges, but NOT
                                              toilets. A place where the wood is not surfaced on all four sides, and
                                              may not be surfaced on 2. A place that's called "Lumber Yard" and not
                                              "Home Center." In other words, a place named "Mizell Lumber" and not
                                              "Lowes", "TruValu", or "Home Despot".

                                              Though I once found a long wide piece of walnut in a big Home Center
                                              type place in the DC area called Hechingers. I about fainted when I saw
                                              it.

                                              --
                                              -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                                              Stealth #97
                                              Silver Spring, MD
                                              > Tom,
                                              > What do you consider "real lumber suppliers?"
                                              >
                                              > Will
                                              >

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                                            • Arthur Slaughter
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 11, 2004
                                                That's a lumber yard. We have a sawmill nearby that also has a drying kiln. You can buy "real" wood at a reasonable price and get it as you like it  Rough to finished four sides.
                                                Finn

                                                A place that will sell you lumber that is listed a "4/4 Select".  A
                                                place where you can buy Maple, White Oak, Walnut, Purpleheart, AND
                                                Wenge.  A place where I can buy wood, maybe screws and hinges, but NOT
                                                toilets.  A place where the wood is not surfaced on all four sides, and
                                                may not be surfaced on 2.  A place that's called "Lumber Yard" and not
                                                "Home Center."  In other words, a place named "Mizell Lumber" and not
                                                "Lowes", "TruValu", or "Home Despot".

                                                Though I once found a long wide piece of walnut in a big Home Center
                                                type place in the DC area called Hechingers.  I about fainted when I saw
                                                it.

                                                --
                                                -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                                                Stealth #97
                                                Silver Spring, MD
                                                > Tom,
                                                > What do you consider "real lumber suppliers?"
                                                >
                                                > Will
                                                >

                                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              • Joseph Hayes
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 11, 2004
                                                  This is partially offtopic, but I some of you might appreciate this...

                                                  I consider myself pretty crafty, but there's only one piece of my work
                                                  in the whole house. Mostly because I sell what I make, but also
                                                  because we don't decorate our house in SCA.

                                                  So, my son, JR, has been wanting to fight boffer, but I refuse to let
                                                  him fight in a hockey helmet because it looks like crap (as opposed to
                                                  my rusty hemlet <grin>). In early December, he comes up to me and
                                                  says, "Daddy, is Santa magic?" I reply, "Yes, he is. Why do you ask?"
                                                  He says, "Since you don't have time to make by boffer equipment, maybe
                                                  Santa can bring it?" Needless to say, the boy got a Spangenhelm for
                                                  Christmas (http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/helmet.jpg).

                                                  Cut to last week... My wife says JR broke the table he uses to eat
                                                  breakfast in front of the TV and she needs to buy him a new one. I
                                                  disappear to the basement for a few nights and now they have a new
                                                  stool/table that matches the rest of the
                                                  furniture(http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/stuff/table.jpg).

                                                  Last night, she says she's thinking about buying some new end-tables
                                                  for the living room. I'm a little slow sometimes, but I'm starting to
                                                  think they're playing me.....

                                                  Ulrich

                                                  http://search.yahoo.com
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Mar 11, 2004
                                                    Someone had taught your kid to play hard-ball.

                                                    Will

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Mar 11, 2004
                                                      My wife and kids have been playing me for 25 years. Part fiddle you
                                                      know. I make tables and sometimes sell them. My wife came home from
                                                      spending a week at her mothers and the kitchen table was gone. Got offered
                                                      more than I could turn down. Been paying for it ever since. She and her
                                                      mother went out and bought this ugly metal and fake wood top table. Any
                                                      time anyone looks at it she tells them of her curl husband that will make a
                                                      nice table for anyone but her. (she is fishing for a fancy walnut table).

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Apr 15, 2004
                                                        I will be in Columbus Ohio next week on business. Can anyone recommend
                                                        a good museum to look at medieval wooden stuff? Or a tool museum?

                                                        Will
                                                      • Joseph Hayes
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Apr 16, 2004
                                                          --- Bill McNutt <mcnutt@...> wrote:
                                                          > I will be in Columbus Ohio next week on business. Can anyone
                                                          > recommend a good museum to look at medieval wooden stuff? Or a tool
                                                          > museum?

                                                          If there's any here, I haven't heard of them. The closest medieval
                                                          wooden stuff I know of is in the Cleveland Museum of Art.

                                                          Locally, you may want to check out the Civil War-era village at the
                                                          Ohio Historical Society. The blacksmith is usually fun to talk to.

                                                          Ulrich

                                                          http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Apr 16, 2004
                                                            Is the reproduction of the Santa Maria worth the stop?

                                                            I understand that the Santa Maria was the first European ship to
                                                            discover the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

                                                            Will