RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: photos: wooden reliquary

  • Vels inn Viggladi
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 29, 2011
      Perhaps I should have gone further with detailing the "scrimping" and "middle class techniques".
      I didn't mean to suggest that there is always high-class joinery involved in wooden reliquaries. Honestly I have been more than surprised at the joinery that has been found on such pieces as it goes beyond nailed butt joints. The joinery was never a thing that concerned me.
      The bent nails on the outside of the case, twisted wire hinges, and especially the exposed wood more bespoke the lesser quality in the construction than any other element. The marks on the wood that appear to be either brush strokes or marks from a toothed blade really seem to point to there having been another layer of material between the wood and the cast pieces originally.
      As you say, with pieces like this we typically find leather, gesso (and paint), silver or tin plating, and possibly over any of these metal leaf or other decoration, which makes the joinery invisible and irrelevant.
      It's that lack that I refer to when I say "scrimping". These objects were, and in many places remain, highly celebrated items. For all we in the post-Reformation world may consider visual spectacle being separate from everlasting importance, the opposite was more the case in the pre-Modern Era. And even then, putting all the bells and whistles on a product someone wishes us to buy is part of the marketing ploy.
      The fact that they took the time to carefully rebuild the latch mechanism to be functional, I think, suggests that the rebuild was prior to the 19th century, or at least to a point when the reliquary was still "in use" as a religious item.

      Vels