Question about ?not quite dovetail? joints...

  • Bobby Bourgoin
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 27, 2011
      Greetings all;
      I have a (maybe stupid) question about joinery...
      There are dovetail, ?square tail?, and I have seen (and used) something that looks like square tail, but instead of the two pieces being cut to fit like dovetails, there are other small (dovetail sized) rectangles that joint the two pieces together.  Most often stained a different color than the main pieces (for contrast and show off the joinery)
      Anybody know what this type of joinery is called, and also if I’m using the correct term with square tails (dovetails that are not angled)?

      Thanks

      Bobby
    • Dan Baker

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 27, 2011
          After a look on the net...  Finger Joints are what I use to call square joints...
          Any idea on the other similar to finger joints, but use other small pieces to joint the two main pieces together?

          Thanks
          Bobby

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 27, 2011
            You may be thinking of butterfly joints or Dovetail keys.

            Duncan Sinclair (MKA: Chris Anderson)KC9UVB
            Shire of Qal 'at Ja'far
            and
            The Barony of Sternfeld
            Middle Kingdom

            Greenwood #514, F&AM

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 27, 2011
                  Thanks...
                  I guess it’s a kind of spline joint...

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 27, 2011
                    That is a box joint..

                    --
                    Jim Hart
                      Conal OhAirt

                  • Bobby Bourgoin

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 27, 2011
                            Just a variant of a spline joint.  Modern decorative joint, not period at all.  Medieval dovetails are not evenly spaced and are for strength, not decoration.

                            The picture is not really a butterfly but a dovetail at a 45 across the corner.  Then the spline is a contrasting color.

                            You can do the same thing with a straight spline.  Make a jig to hold it at a 45 and run it through the table saw either with a dado blade or nibble away with a standard blade. A dado will make it more consistent.  easy peasy with the right jig only takes a few seconds.

                            -Capten Rhys

                            On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Bobby Bourgoin <bobby.bourgoin@...> wrote:
                            something like this, but squared inserts not butterflyed...
                            image

                            Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:41 PM

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 27, 2011
                              Splined joint. They are cut on a special jig on a tablesaw that holds the work at 45 degrees.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 27, 2011
                                Ah yes, that is correct splined, not spline.   It didn't seem quite right.

                                -Capten Rhys