RE: [medievalsawdust] more stuff and question

  • Avery
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2002

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002

          http://faith.yahoo.com
        • James Winkler
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
            Conal wrote:
                An Excel spreadsheet that will do
            the math for you.

                      ... or is that cheating?

            ---------------

            Unless yer' planning on taking up a class teachin' higher math it ain't cheatin' in MY book!!!   (Hey... they'd have used computers if they had em'... ;-)   ... and in some instances did!  I'd reference some of the navigation aids, clocks, etc. that were used...   now, granted they were analog devices vs. digital... but that's simply because the slide rule that was needed to do all the math for the digital computer hadn't been invented yet...   but it does kinda' make ya' wonder just how the heck they did figure out the angles?   Trial and error seems like it would have hit the point of diminishing returns rather quickly... or did they use some other kind of joint or jig???   Hummm....

            Great find on the web site Avery... got that one bookmarked.

            Chas.
          • vinlandar
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8, 2002
              As it pertains to calculating angles, I was very surprised to read
              in "Ireland's Traditional Crafts" by David Shaw Smith (isbn 0-500-
              01321-7) that, basically, they didn't.

              Quoting from page 73,

              "And it may be justifiably called an art. Examine a well-made
              country chair and it will be seen that it is no simple job. Notice
              every member is subtly shaped for strentgh and comfort and that every
              joint is slightly 'off the angle'. Then watch the craftsman at work
              and observe that he uses no elaborate measurements or calculations
              but judges his angles, his curves, his mortices and auger holes --
              by eye -- (my emphasis), just as a painter or sculptor does - truly
              an art."

              Boy, no lie. :-) I got this book from the library, and it's pretty
              good.

              -Charlie

              --- In medievalsawdust@y..., "James Winkler" <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
              > Conal wrote:
              > An Excel spreadsheet that will do
              > the math for you.
              >
              > ... or is that cheating?
              >
              > ---------------
              >
              > Unless yer' planning on taking up a class teachin' higher math it
              ain't cheatin' in MY book!!! (Hey... they'd have used computers if
              they had em'... ;-) ... and in some instances did! I'd reference
              some of the navigation aids, clocks, etc. that were used... now,
              granted they were analog devices vs. digital... but that's simply
              because the slide rule that was needed to do all the math for the
              digital computer hadn't been invented yet... but it does kinda'
              make ya' wonder just how the heck they did figure out the angles?
              Trial and error seems like it would have hit the point of diminishing
              returns rather quickly... or did they use some other kind of joint or
              jig??? Hummm....

              > Great find on the web site Avery... got that one bookmarked.
              >
              > Chas.
            • Avery
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2002
                Actually, you can get the same values with the pythaogorean therom, which, I think means that you could get them via compass and straight edge construction.

                Actually, it's doubtful they would have worried about this all that much as it isn't like they could have set their miter gauge and blade to a certain set of angles.  If they did cut things this way, I'll wager they did EVERYTHING to the same peak angle, rough cut it and then planed it to the appropriate angles using a shooting board of some sort.