Re: [MedievalSawdust] wood shrinkage

  • Sean Powell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2011
      What did you do to finish the wood? And what style of construction? When you say finger-jointed is that to combine 2 short boards into a longer one or to join them edge to edge? If they are separating edge to edge, how are they fasten to the legs?

      Without seeing the problem I'm guessing but you MIGHT try slowly putting moisture back into the wood directly, as in rubbing it down daily with a slow-drying oil so the oil penetrates and fills the cell structure that is missing the water.

      Sean

      On 11/5/2011 3:47 PM, maf@... wrote:
      I have a maple table I made about 6 years ago as a gift for someone and it’s done very well for all this years but in the last few weeks the table top boards which were finger jointed started pulling apart. i think it’s loss of moisture in the wood but it took 6 years to happen and it was aged wood I used (but not kiln dried). Anyone have any suggestions for stopping it from happening? The friends I gave it too have tried adding a humidifier to there new house but even at full speed they care only getting 18-20% humidity in the house.

      Mark

    • maf@gleichen.ca
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2011
        The finger jointing was along the long edges to make a wider table top. The boards are then pegged into a cross beam that then attaches to the legs. The boards are separating at the finger joints (3 boards make up the top) but not anywhere else. They were glued with a hide glue.

        Mark