Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Interesting article about Viking navigation and "Sunstones"

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
      > My understanding is that no such stone had yet been found with a wreck,
      > no?

      Calcite crystals are small, fragile and can dissolve under certain
      conditions, especially the presence of weak acids from decaying organic
      matter.

      Keeping a better course also makes shipwreck less likely! ISTR that
      magnetic compasses are also documented for several centuries in both China
      and Europe before one turns up in situ in a shipwreck. That's why good
      navigators have always been valued by sailors, and why good instruments
      have always been valued by navigators. As my friend the retired Coast
      Guardsman puts it, "The sea rarely kills ships. It's that hard stuff
      around the edges."

      Ulfhedinn
    • Geirfold
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
        IIRC there wee at least three found in various Viking Graves. One or two in Birka, and I think the Oseberg and/or Gokstad burials. I'd have to do some research to find the exact ones.

        Geierfold

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:

        > My understanding is that no such stone had yet been found with a wreck,
        > no?
        >
        > On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Geirfold <hammered_shamrock@...>wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Nothing like doing a study on something that was proven 40 years ago. I
        > > have several books on Viking Age history that were printed in the 60's and
        > > 70's that already gave that information.
        > >
        > > However, please do not take this as a disparagement to your haveing posted
        > > the link and story.
        > >
        > > Geirfold
        > >
        > > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, leaking pen <itsatrap@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8862471/Magical-Viking-stone-may-be-real.html

      • Geirfold
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
          Ok, so next time I make sure the cat is not in my lap when typing.