Re: Interesting article about Viking navigation and "Sunstones"

  • Geirfold
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
      Nothing like doing a study on something that was proven 40 years ago. I have several books on Viking Age history that were printed in the 60's and 70's that already gave that information.

      However, please do not take this as a disparagement to your haveing posted the link and story.

      Geirfold

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:

      > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8862471/Magical-Viking-stone-may-be-real.html

    • leaking pen
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
        My understanding is that no such stone had yet been found with a wreck, no?

      • conradh@efn.org
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
          > My understanding is that no such stone had yet been found with a wreck,
          > no?

          Calcite crystals are small, fragile and can dissolve under certain
          conditions, especially the presence of weak acids from decaying organic
          matter.

          Keeping a better course also makes shipwreck less likely! ISTR that
          magnetic compasses are also documented for several centuries in both China
          and Europe before one turns up in situ in a shipwreck. That's why good
          navigators have always been valued by sailors, and why good instruments
          have always been valued by navigators. As my friend the retired Coast
          Guardsman puts it, "The sea rarely kills ships. It's that hard stuff
          around the edges."

          Ulfhedinn
        • Geirfold
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
            IIRC there wee at least three found in various Viking Graves. One or two in Birka, and I think the Oseberg and/or Gokstad burials. I'd have to do some research to find the exact ones.

            Geierfold

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2011
              Ok, so next time I make sure the cat is not in my lap when typing.