Re: [MedievalSawdust] Need advice on cutting a wooden screw

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1 3:24 PM
      > It is also possible and probably easier to file on a lathe, which can be
      > a very effective way to round out and center a hand-forging for the tap
      > (as well as set the feed taper after filing your teeth, at least if
      > you're copying a modern tap design) for the poor-man's approach, you
      > could also chuck up the forging in a drill press and probably file it
      > close enough to round for the purpose of making a tap. Just use
      > something clamped to the table to act as a guide fence to stabilize the
      > file on.
      >
      > --Alysaundre Weldon
      > Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

      Thanks for mentioning what I should have!

      If you do this in the drill press, it really helps to make a little
      conical dead center or pilot pin for the bottom end of the workpiece,
      something that can mount in the center hole of the drill press table.
      Turns the drill press into an expedient lathe.

      Lathe filing works great for smoothing a piece. For serious shaping, a
      problem can develop where the piece goes more and more out of round the
      longer you file. I think it may be a rhythmic bouncing effect, like the
      way a dirt road develops corrugations from bouncing wheels--a high spot on
      the workpiece reduces the file pressure on the surface just beyond it.

      The file rest you mention helps. So does changing speeds on the lathe
      several times--it breaks up the rhythm of the bouncing before it can get
      bad.

      Ulfhedinn
    • khpv_lsc
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2 12:33 AM
        Thanks you to all those who have put forward suggestions about this.

        I had read Roy Underhill's books and have the basic ideas from there. I can't readily re-read these since the main library in Christchurch is still closed from the earthquake earlier this year.

        I don't want to use commercial kit - I very much want to make the screw and nut from scratch.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Ellison" <pellison@...> wrote:

        > Sorry for the reply to my own post, but I forgot to include a good article on making a screw box:
        >
        > http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dAssis/art/TapDie/TapDie-01.asp

        This is very good, and fills in a few details I had forgotten.

        The suggestion by Ulfhedinn about precutting a guide for the thread with a saw and depth-stop is also a very good one.

        > >> Roy
        > Underhill has a
        > > chapter in one of his books on the subject....
        > If
        > >> someone does
        > > not beat me to it and I have time
        > later I can check to see
        > >> which
        > > one.

        I'll let you know how it goes.

        In service,
        Lowrens
      • Broom
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2 7:58 AM
          > If you do this in the drill press, it really helps to make a little
          > conical dead center or pilot pin for the bottom end of the workpiece,
          > something that can mount in the center hole of the drill press table.
          > Turns the drill press into an expedient lathe.

          Oh, Ulfhedinn, you and your fancy power drill! THIS is the way to do it:
          www.liveleak.com/view?i=1a6_1319771245

          ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
          ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
          ' | 923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
          '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
          '/|\ "Thank God for secular humanism."
          //|\\ - John F. Kennedy, according to Mort Sahl
        • conradh@efn.org
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2 11:10 AM
            >> If you do this in the drill press, it really helps to make a little
            >> conical dead center or pilot pin for the bottom end of the workpiece,
            >> something that can mount in the center hole of the drill press table.
            >> Turns the drill press into an expedient lathe.
            >
            > Oh, Ulfhedinn, you and your fancy power drill! THIS is the way to do it:
            > www.liveleak.com/view?i=1a6_1319771245

            Couldn't open the link, but much of this is based on stuff I've seen or
            done in the past. Right now, frex, my metalworking lathe is down with
            out-of-round Babbit bearings and my "fancy power drill" needs a new motor!
            So I'm as interested in the suggestions here as the OP is!

            Ulfhedinn
          • Broom
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3 8:02 AM
              >>> Turns the drill press into an expedient lathe.
              >>
              >> Oh, Ulfhedinn, you and your fancy power drill! THIS is the way to do it:
              >>   www.liveleak.com/view?i=1a6_1319771245
              >
              > Couldn't open the link, but much of this is based on stuff I've seen or
              > done in the past.  Right now, frex, my metalworking lathe is down with
              > out-of-round Babbit bearings and my "fancy power drill" needs a new motor!
              >  So I'm as interested in the suggestions here as the OP is!

              Mostly it was a humorous reply.

              The link is a video of a Marrakesh man operating a hand-pulled
              bow-lathe, pressing his gouge against a makeshift rest with his bare
              foot to turn out chess pieces. Amazingly simple: string, "C"-frame,
              two pivot points, a rest (iron bar?), and a gouge.

              ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
              ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
              '\|/ 923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
              '/|\ "Discere et docere", which means:
              //|\\ "Life is overrated and always fatal." - baka-san, Fark