Re: Medieval planes blogpost

  • gloerke
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 19, 2011
      That's fine with me. If you however mean the 'Ancient, Medieval, Rennaissance and Colonial Furniture and Woodenware' group there is no need. I posted it there as well.

      stay tuned for part 2 of the medieval planes

      Marijn

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "D. Young" <furnaceplans@...> wrote:

      > Marijn
      >
      > Can I olease repost this in the Facebook woodworking group? ...some great stuff !!
      >
      > cheers
      > Drew
      >

      > Fine Armour and Historical Reproductions
      >
      > Custom Commissions Welcome....!
      > www.partsandtechnical.com
      >
      > (Well Formed Munitions Catalog Coming This Spring)
      >

      > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      > From: gloerke@...
      > Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:23:20 +0000
      > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Medieval planes blogpost

      > Hi all,
      >

      > I think you might be interested in my latest blog post (of the St. Thomasguild) on Medieval planes
      >

      > http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011/10/medieval-toolchest-plane-part-1.html
      >

      > Happy reading & viewing
      >

      > Marijn

    • D. Young
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 19, 2011
        Cool, yes I saw it!

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: gloerke@...
        Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 21:40:59 +0000
        Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Medieval planes blogpost

        That's fine with me. If you however mean the 'Ancient, Medieval, Rennaissance and Colonial Furniture and Woodenware' group there is no need. I posted it there as well.

        stay tuned for part 2 of the medieval planes

        Marijn

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "D. Young" <furnaceplans@...> wrote:

        > Marijn
        >
        > Can I olease repost this in the Facebook woodworking group? ...some great stuff !!
        >
        > cheers
        > Drew
        >

        > Fine Armour and Historical Reproductions
        >
        > Custom Commissions Welcome....!
        > www.partsandtechnical.com
        >
        > (Well Formed Munitions Catalog Coming This Spring)
        >

        > To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        > From: gloerke@...
        > Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:23:20 +0000
        > Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Medieval planes blogpost

        > Hi all,
        >

        > I think you might be interested in my latest blog post (of the St. Thomasguild) on Medieval planes
        >

        > http://thomasguild.blogspot.com/2011/10/medieval-toolchest-plane-part-1.html
        >

        > Happy reading & viewing
        >

        > Marijn

      • Hall, Hayward
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 24, 2011
          On the Kent plane, is that one predomanantly bronze or just the sole? I seem to recall either that one or a roman one that was all bronze.

          Guillaume

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 25, 2011
            The kent plane has only a bronze sole. In W.L. Goodman's book "the history of woodworking tools" it mentions the following:

            When [the Sarre Plane] first discovered it was described in 'Archeologica Cantiana' Vol. VI, p. 161 as: Found with bronze balance and scales and 19 weights in sarre grave 26 - iron lock, with bronze plate containing a hole for its bolt; and in George Payne's 'catalogue of the Kent Archeological society's collection', p. 19, no. 775, as 'lock-plate, bronze, attached to wood'.
            A closer examination has confirmed that this object is a small plane, with features relating it to both the roman planes and to the little tools from Leeuwarden [i.e. the Dutch frisian ones from the terps]. The stock is of horn, 5 3/8 inch long, 1 1/4 inch wide, and 1 1/4 inch heigh, and turned up a short distance at both ends. The sole is attached to the stock by three iron rivets passing through the horn and fastened to three small bronze plates let into the upper surface. A small grip is hollowed out behind the iron, which is 3/4 inch wide, and has a slope of 43 degrees. the rivet across the mount and the wedge and the iron itself are the only conjectural features, but they are well vouched for in the roman and frisian examples.
            With the help of a detailed drawing made by mr. L.R.A. Grove, B.A., F.S.A., the curator of the Maidstone museum, the writer has made a reconstruction in wood of the original plane. The tool is remarkably easy to use, and resembles the small violin planes.

            So attached between the bronze sole and some bronze plates is a horn piece, which previously was thought to be wood. There is a drawing of the plane as well as a reconstruction. Perhaps the Maidstone museum in the UK can help uncovering it? Or provide a colour image of the plane?

            Thanks Guillaume for this question, revealing information overlooked upon reading.

            Marijn

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Hall, Hayward" <hallh@...> wrote:

            > On the Kent plane, is that one predomanantly bronze or just the sole? I seem to recall either that one or a roman one that was all bronze.
            >
            > Guillaume

          • Vels inn Viggladi
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 25, 2011
              I have a question for you... In the paragraph describing the de Marchi intarsia, you describe a hold-fast being present. I can't for the life of me find one in the image. Where should I be looking?

              Vels

            • gloerke
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 26, 2011
                It is supposedly in the left corner of the work bench, but ... I think it is hardly discernible in this scan. The original in Greber's book is also not very clear and a scan of it makes it not much better. The holdfast is light greyish coloured and partly in the workbench. You can see the curve of the short part of the L.
                "Unten steht die niedriche Hobelbank, an deren linken Ende der Bankhaken eingeslagen ist. (page 132)"

                Marijn

              • conradh@efn.org
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 27, 2011
                  Thank you, Marijn, for a very interesting post. You included several
                  planes I had not found before.

                  I have an ongoing project to reproduce the tools from Jean Bourdichon's
                  _Quatre Etats_ painting of about 1500, so seeing details of actual planes
                  of that period is most useful. So far the only plane I've made from that
                  picture is the large jointer; I still have to do the small one.

                  Again, thank you.

                  Ulfhedinn
                • gloerke
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 28, 2011
                    Do you have some images of your Bourdichon plane? I am very curious...
                    It is intersting because we also have made the Bourdichon jointer, but a bit smaller in length. You will see images of that one in the next plane post on my blog.

                    Marijn

                  • conradh@efn.org
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 28, 2011
                      > Do you have some images of your Bourdichon plane? I am very curious...
                      > It is intersting because we also have made the Bourdichon jointer, but a
                      > bit smaller in length. You will see images of that one in the next plane
                      > post on my blog.

                      Yes, see it at:

                      http://www.freewebs.com/ulfhedins/index-2.htm

                      It seems quite intimidating, but it's the same size relative to my own
                      body as the one in the painting. It works quite well for match planing
                      the edges of boards--I made my bellows with it and got a good air seal.
                      Surfacing a board, as the man in the painting is doing--all I can say is
                      that you must have a _very_ fine blade setting, or a gorilla for an
                      apprentice, to help push!