more stuff and question

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2002
      Hi all,
      I had an idea to save room while
      packing and still get rid of plastic
      tubs. I've make two chests ( a standard
      6 board and a later style with 4 legs
      that stack together for easier transport.
      Now all I've got to do is paint them.

      I also made a peaked roof box. The angles
      were not what I expected them to be and
      I had to do sanding on a belt sander to
      fit them together. I want to make another
      one of a slightly different and more complicated
      design ( the one with the tennis balls
      from Ken Brannas Henry V )
      Does anyone know a way to figure out
      the angles before you get started?

      =====

      http://faith.yahoo.com
    • Avery
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2002
        Does anyone know a way to figure out
        the angles before you get started?

        Oooh. Oooh. I know this one. Check out
        http://www.wwforum.com/faqs_articles/miter_formula.html

        Avery
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
          --- Avery <avery@...> wrote:
          > Does anyone know a way to figure out
          > the angles before you get started?
          >

          > Oooh. Oooh. I know this one. Check out

          http://www.wwforum.com/faqs_articles/miter_formula.html

          > Avery

          Thanks!

          =====

          http://faith.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
            --- Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
            wrote:

            > --- Avery <avery@...> wrote:
            > > Does anyone know a way to figure out
            > > the angles before you get started?
            > >

            > > Oooh. Oooh. I know this one. Check out

            oh oooh ooooh!
            I was backtracking a little from
            that link and found a download off the
            FAQ's and articles page.

            An Excel spreadsheet that will do
            the math for you.

            ... or is that cheating?

            =====

            http://faith.yahoo.com
          • James Winkler
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2002
              Conal wrote:
                  An Excel spreadsheet that will do
              the math for you.

                        ... or is that cheating?

              ---------------

              Unless yer' planning on taking up a class teachin' higher math it ain't cheatin' in MY book!!!   (Hey... they'd have used computers if they had em'... ;-)   ... and in some instances did!  I'd reference some of the navigation aids, clocks, etc. that were used...   now, granted they were analog devices vs. digital... but that's simply because the slide rule that was needed to do all the math for the digital computer hadn't been invented yet...   but it does kinda' make ya' wonder just how the heck they did figure out the angles?   Trial and error seems like it would have hit the point of diminishing returns rather quickly... or did they use some other kind of joint or jig???   Hummm....

              Great find on the web site Avery... got that one bookmarked.

              Chas.
            • vinlandar
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2002
                As it pertains to calculating angles, I was very surprised to read
                in "Ireland's Traditional Crafts" by David Shaw Smith (isbn 0-500-
                01321-7) that, basically, they didn't.

                Quoting from page 73,

                "And it may be justifiably called an art. Examine a well-made
                country chair and it will be seen that it is no simple job. Notice
                every member is subtly shaped for strentgh and comfort and that every
                joint is slightly 'off the angle'. Then watch the craftsman at work
                and observe that he uses no elaborate measurements or calculations
                but judges his angles, his curves, his mortices and auger holes --
                by eye -- (my emphasis), just as a painter or sculptor does - truly
                an art."

                Boy, no lie. :-) I got this book from the library, and it's pretty
                good.

                -Charlie

                --- In medievalsawdust@y..., "James Winkler" <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
                > Conal wrote:
                > An Excel spreadsheet that will do
                > the math for you.
                >
                > ... or is that cheating?
                >
                > ---------------
                >
                > Unless yer' planning on taking up a class teachin' higher math it
                ain't cheatin' in MY book!!! (Hey... they'd have used computers if
                they had em'... ;-) ... and in some instances did! I'd reference
                some of the navigation aids, clocks, etc. that were used... now,
                granted they were analog devices vs. digital... but that's simply
                because the slide rule that was needed to do all the math for the
                digital computer hadn't been invented yet... but it does kinda'
                make ya' wonder just how the heck they did figure out the angles?
                Trial and error seems like it would have hit the point of diminishing
                returns rather quickly... or did they use some other kind of joint or
                jig??? Hummm....

                > Great find on the web site Avery... got that one bookmarked.
                >
                > Chas.
              • Avery
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2002
                  Actually, you can get the same values with the pythaogorean therom, which, I think means that you could get them via compass and straight edge construction.

                  Actually, it's doubtful they would have worried about this all that much as it isn't like they could have set their miter gauge and blade to a certain set of angles.  If they did cut things this way, I'll wager they did EVERYTHING to the same peak angle, rough cut it and then planed it to the appropriate angles using a shooting board of some sort.