Toxicity dangers (was Re: Linseed Oil (was Finish for a Throne))

  • Broom
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 22, 2011
      Avery wrote:
      > with, but unfortunately the web is full of people who'll warn you that your
      > risking your life handling galvanized metal with your bare hands at the very
      > same time the One-A-Day people will cheerfully feed you 23 milligrams of the
      > zinc.

      While your more general point (the web, and even printed safety advice
      from suppliers, are full of contradictory information), I'd like to
      point out that digestible zinc supplements are not necessarily the
      same chemical as you'll find on galvanized metal... Acceptable levels
      of CO2 >> acceptable levels of CO, for instance. Apples to apples,
      when considering toxicity.

      ... Which only muddies the issue further. My advice is to read the
      MSDS for the chemical in question (which are available from the
      makers, and online), and then use your head.

      In the meantime, anyone know which color of Rustoleum is best for
      paint huffing? ;-)

      ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
      ' | 923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
      '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
      '/|\ "Billy Graham is the chief servant of Satan in America."
      //|\\ - Jimmy Swaggart. Makes me like Billy more.
    • powell.sean@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 22, 2011

        I think I wrote the paint color on the back of the MSDS for DiHydroMonOxide. Seriously dangerous stuff. People die from it every year. :)

        Stuff is only as dangerous as the uninformed fool mishandling it. MSDS sheets may describe the hazard but rarely proper handling. If you aren't prepared to dry linseed rags carefully you arn't prepared to use it. Use toung oil or a modern substitute instead. It's what I do.

        Sean

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 22, 2011
          Gimme a break...I put that stuff in my coffee.   I piss paint, very convenient in a rough economy.

               Custom Commissions Welcome....!

          www.partsandtechnical.com

          To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          From: powell.sean@...
          Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:55:16 +0000
          Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Toxicity dangers (was Re: Linseed Oil (was Finish for a Throne))

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 22, 2011

            I always heard gold was best.  :)

            On Sep 22, 2011 10:33 AM, "Broom" <IAmBroom@...> wrote:
            > Avery wrote:
            >> with, but unfortunately the web is full of people who'll warn you that your
            >> risking your life handling galvanized metal with your bare hands at the very
            >> same time the One-A-Day people will cheerfully feed you 23 milligrams of the
            >> zinc.
            >
            > While your more general point (the web, and even printed safety advice
            > from suppliers, are full of contradictory information), I'd like to
            > point out that digestible zinc supplements are not necessarily the
            > same chemical as you'll find on galvanized metal... Acceptable levels
            > of CO2 >> acceptable levels of CO, for instance. Apples to apples,
            > when considering toxicity.
            >
            > ... Which only muddies the issue further. My advice is to read the
            > MSDS for the chemical in question (which are available from the
            > makers, and online), and then use your head.
            >
            > In the meantime, anyone know which color of Rustoleum is best for
            > paint huffing? ;-)
            >
            > ' | Broom IAmBroom @ gmail . com
            > ' | cellphone: 412-389-1997
            > ' | 923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
            > '\|/ "Discere et docere", which means:
            > '/|\ "Billy Graham is the chief servant of Satan in America."
            > //|\\ - Jimmy Swaggart. Makes me like Billy more.

            > <*> Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > <*> To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > <*> To change settings via email:
            > medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com
            > medievalsawdust-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • W. Roberts
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 22, 2011
              Thanks a lot, guys.....

              No, really! I mean that in all sincerity!!

              Every time this subject comes up (on this list, or other lists that I'm on), it immediately whisks me back to my college days, and the little ditty that my Chem101 teacher threw out during one of his lectures. Maybe the "only" thing I remember from Chem101!!

              "Johnny was a chemist,
              But Johnny is no more!
              What Johnny thought was H-two-O
              Was H-two-S-O-four!"

              And just like the first time I heard it, I can't help breaking out in giggles. :-)

              Lee

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 23, 2011
                Broom, go with Krylon instead. Banana oil or some such. Quick acting, guaranteed to kill lots of brain cells, and it's easier to get the paint off your nose with a little laquer thinner.
                Tristan