Re: Linseed Oil (was Finish for a Throne)

  • Avery Austringer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2011
      Something that may be of interest - a while back there was a thread on the nature and safety on linseed oil.  Lots of wild speculation was going on, so I called the Kleen Strip people and asked what was in their can of linseed oil.  Would you believe it contains linseed oil?  If you want it to dry faster you can add their Japan dryer (I vaguely remember that they told me it contained zinc stearate, but this was a couple years ago, so don't quote me on that).  If you're using a product and you're not sure, call their customer service number and ask!

      Also note that "heavy metal" is not a rigidly defined term (http://iupac.org/publications/pac/74/5/0793/) and does not necessarily equate with toxicity (or anything else, really).  I wish I had a really good resource to point out on the subject of chemical hazards that artists and craftsmen deal with, but unfortunately the web is full of people who'll warn you that your risking your life handling galvanized metal with your bare hands at the very same time the One-A-Day people will cheerfully feed you 23 milligrams of the zinc.  And I've seen the pros (I'm looking at you Sigma Chemical) use danger warnings that weren't exactly well correlated with the actual hazard.

      Avery