Re: [MedievalSawdust] Finish for a Throne

  • nelsonhaynes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 13, 2011
      I have never found that a problem. Let it dry for a couple of days.

      Nigel

      In a message dated 9/13/2011 9:50:43 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lawiser@... writes:

      Okay ... so SITTING on those chairs with expensive court garb? Is the oil/wax residue going to get on the clothing of anyone who sits or anyone who has to lug the thrones around? I'm envisioning some really irate Anyones.

      Lia

      From: Siegfried <siegfried@...>
      Sender: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 09:30:44 -0400
      To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Cc: <jjasoneeric@...>
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Finish for a Throne

      Depends on what you want the finished product to be.

      I myself have regularly made my 'Medieval Mix' ...

      By taking a block of white beeswax, shaving it on a cheese grater, and
      filling a quart jar 1/2 full of it.

      Then pouring enough turpentine over it to cover the bees wax, then
      topping off the jar with linseed oil.

      You then have to let it sit. A month does good. Stirring it helps.
      In the end, you have a goopy, gloppy, mixture. Easy to smear on, then
      rub in.

      However, the finish doesn't fill pores at all, and stays 'soft'. So in
      heavy use situations, you will get 'dirt buildup' on them. Which one
      might argue looks period :)

      I've seen other people make the same mixture, but go much heavier on the
      wax. And end up with the finished product being much more like a modern
      paste wax.

      Of course, you coudl also just go with multiple coats of linseed oil.

      Siegfried

      On 9/13/11 8:20 AM, jjasoneeric@... wrote:

      > What would those ratios be?
      >
      > Thank You

    • D. Young
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 14, 2011
        try it in your coffee Jim   ...you can tell its been boiled or not.

        :)

             Custom Commissions Welcome....!

        www.partsandtechnical.com

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: conalohairt@...
        Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:04:12 -0400
        Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Finish for a Throne

        I've got a can of it in my paint cabinet right now.

        That is the chemically treated stuff. I've used it before. I was wondering about boiled linseed
        oil that has actually been 'boiled'.

        On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Bill Fariss <wfariss@...> wrote:

        Lowes or Home Depot has screw top cans in the paint department. Look for Boiled Linseed oil.

        William Fariss
        "Never look back unless you want to go that way"