RE: [MedievalSawdust] Finish for a Throne

  • Vels inn Viggladi
    Message 1 of 38 , Sep 13, 2011

      DaVinci wrote of a faux amber varnish. Easy way to get to that is to follow the instructions for making egg tempera but leave out the pigment. Instead, put a couple coats of linseed oil into the piece, then apply the egg white mixed with boiled linseed oil. Once that cures, you have a hard period-appropriate varnish on the piece.

      I'd recommend getting a carton of egg whites from the grocery store, rather than breaking a few dozen eggs to get the whites. I don't have actual quantities for the mix.

      'Course, if money is no object and you do not fear explosion, you could go the fully period Cenninni route and boil linseed oil with finely ground amber.

      Vels

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: rcetlin@...
      Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:09:12 -0700
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Finish for a Throne

      Greetings all,

      So after having been inducted into my barony’s woodworker’s guild by osmosis, I’ve been presented with a minor challenge.  I’ve been tasked with coming up with a plan of action for refinishing our baronial thrones.  They are made of oak, unstained, and off the top of my head, I don’t believe they are finished anymore than good sanding.

      My thought is to keep the thrones looking as close to medieval as possible so I’d prefer to avoid most common poly’s and lacquers.  I would like to get a matte to semi-gloss finish, with some resistance to bumps and such.  They will be packed in moving blanket bags that are going to be made rather shortly.  Also, the environment they are kept in is in the southwest (Las Vegas area), so the humidity on average is pretty low and exposure to rain, minimal at worst.

      I was thinking several coats of a decent wax, buffing each layer applied.

      Thank you in advance,

      Lord Bercilak Von Nurenberg

      Mka Royce Cetlin

    • D. Young
      Message 38 of 38 , Sep 14, 2011
        try it in your coffee Jim   ...you can tell its been boiled or not.

        :)

             Custom Commissions Welcome....!

        www.partsandtechnical.com

        To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        From: conalohairt@...
        Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:04:12 -0400
        Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Finish for a Throne

        I've got a can of it in my paint cabinet right now.

        That is the chemically treated stuff. I've used it before. I was wondering about boiled linseed
        oil that has actually been 'boiled'.

        On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Bill Fariss <wfariss@...> wrote:

        Lowes or Home Depot has screw top cans in the paint department. Look for Boiled Linseed oil.

        William Fariss
        "Never look back unless you want to go that way"