RE: [MedievalSawdust] Help Pricing a 1954 (or so) Delta Combination Shop

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 10, 2011
      From: Bobby Bourgoin <bobby.bourgoin@...>
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, 08 Sep 2011 16:45:00 -0700 (PDT)
      Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] Help Pricing a 1954 (or so) Delta Combination Shop

      I may be wrong, but with tools/machinery that old, it all depends on how
      much the other is ready to pay for it, and in what condition it's in, etc.

      But then again I may be wrong, and I often am with this kind of thing.

      You're not wrong at all. And asking prices (as opposed to what people settle for to get the thing out of the garage) are often inflated by hope.

      The only reality check I can offer is for Shopsmith 10ER combination machines, which are late Forties/early Fifties units like what you have. I paid $400 for a 1947 10ER in very good condition some twenty years ago. It had the basic five functions (table saw, drill press, wood lathe, disc sander, horizontal boring mill) plus an accessory jigsaw. About ten years later, I was able to buy another 10ER from 1952, also in good shape, for $200; it included accessory jointer and another jigsaw. Both machines came with floor stands.

      Three years ago I inherited a third 10ER, that was missing a few parts but could still do most functions. I sold it for $100.

      I don't know the Delta rig personally, but Delta machines of that era have a good reputation. If it's as solid as some of their other gear from that decade, they might be worth a little more. (The Shopmith machines are quite durable, just a little lightweight. I've sometimes wished for more rigidity, especially in the table saw and drilling modes.

      Ulfhedinn
    • Helen
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2011

        I want to thank everyone who has commented on my query.  I decided to take slightly less than my Dad originally paid for it, since it was going to a neighbor who not only had often helped my Dad with projects while using it, but he made an offer on it.  I would love to have taken it back to Indiana, but I fear the shipping costs would far outweigh the value of the machine.  As far as I know, it is in pretty good working order, but might need some oiling of parts due to lack of use over the past 10 years or so.

        ~~ Katarina Helene