Re: Johann's Workbench

  • gloerke
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30, 2011
      Dear Johann and William,

      Though Johann made no construction drawings, he did base his design on the drawings of the Nurnberg craftsman Loffelholz from 1505. Or at least the workbenches look very identical. I have some images of the workbench of Loffelholz in my photofolder 'Thomasguild'.

      greetings

      Marijn - St. Thomasguild
      thomasguild.blogspot.com

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, John LaTorre <jlatorre@...> wrote:

      > William Fariss wrote:
      >
      > > Does anyone know any information on Johann's Workbench or Johann's Workbench 2 as listed in the Photo Albums. It appears that the individual that uploaded the photos is gone. I would like to get any construction drawings, measurements, etc. Any information would be helpful.
      >
      > I am Johann. At the moment, I'm en route from Pennsic, but when I return
      > I'll take some measurements and post them either here or in that folder.
      > There were no construction drawings that I recall; I just sort of took a
      > slab of maple and winged it.
      >
      > If you happen to be attending Great Western War, you can see the bench
      > in the flesh (or wood?) near the A & S area.
      >
      > Johann von Drachenfels
      > West Kingdom

    • John LaTorre
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2011
        Marijn - St. Thomasguild wrote:

        > Dear Johann and William,
        >
        > Though Johann made no construction drawings, he did base his design on the drawings of the Nurnberg craftsman Loffelholz from 1505. Or at least the workbenches look very identical. I have some images of the workbench of Loffelholz in my photofolder 'Thomasguild'.

        That was indeed one of my inspirations, although I dispensed with the
        tail vise. I also decided not to recess the jaws of the side vise, in
        order to make it a little more versatile.

        Sorry about not giving you the dimensions yet. The workbench itself is
        in storage, and under a pile of other SCA stuff. I hope to excavate this
        weekend.

        --Johann