Re: Johann's Workbench (was: Three-legged stool from the Metropolitan museum)

  • John LaTorre
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2011
      William Fariss wrote:

      > Does anyone know any information on Johann's Workbench or Johann's Workbench 2 as listed in the Photo Albums. It appears that the individual that uploaded the photos is gone. I would like to get any construction drawings, measurements, etc. Any information would be helpful.

      I am Johann. At the moment, I'm en route from Pennsic, but when I return
      I'll take some measurements and post them either here or in that folder.
      There were no construction drawings that I recall; I just sort of took a
      slab of maple and winged it.

      If you happen to be attending Great Western War, you can see the bench
      in the flesh (or wood?) near the A & S area.

      Johann von Drachenfels
      West Kingdom
    • Bill Fariss
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 18, 2011
        Thank you.

        William Fariss
        "Never look back unless you want to go that way"

        > Does anyone know any information on Johann's Workbench or Johann's Workbench 2 as listed in the Photo Albums. It appears that the individual that uploaded the photos is gone. I would like to get any construction drawings, measurements, etc. Any information would be helpful.

        I am Johann. At the moment, I'm en route from Pennsic, but when I return
        I'll take some measurements and post them either here or in that folder.
        There were no construction drawings that I recall; I just sort of took a
        slab of maple and winged it.

        If you happen to be attending Great Western War, you can see the bench
        in the flesh (or wood?) near the A & S area.

        Johann von Drachenfels
        West Kingdom

      • gloerke
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 30, 2011
          Dear Johann and William,

          Though Johann made no construction drawings, he did base his design on the drawings of the Nurnberg craftsman Loffelholz from 1505. Or at least the workbenches look very identical. I have some images of the workbench of Loffelholz in my photofolder 'Thomasguild'.

          greetings

          Marijn - St. Thomasguild
          thomasguild.blogspot.com

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, John LaTorre <jlatorre@...> wrote:

          > William Fariss wrote:
          >
          > > Does anyone know any information on Johann's Workbench or Johann's Workbench 2 as listed in the Photo Albums. It appears that the individual that uploaded the photos is gone. I would like to get any construction drawings, measurements, etc. Any information would be helpful.
          >
          > I am Johann. At the moment, I'm en route from Pennsic, but when I return
          > I'll take some measurements and post them either here or in that folder.
          > There were no construction drawings that I recall; I just sort of took a
          > slab of maple and winged it.
          >
          > If you happen to be attending Great Western War, you can see the bench
          > in the flesh (or wood?) near the A & S area.
          >
          > Johann von Drachenfels
          > West Kingdom

        • John LaTorre
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2011
            Marijn - St. Thomasguild wrote:

            > Dear Johann and William,
            >
            > Though Johann made no construction drawings, he did base his design on the drawings of the Nurnberg craftsman Loffelholz from 1505. Or at least the workbenches look very identical. I have some images of the workbench of Loffelholz in my photofolder 'Thomasguild'.

            That was indeed one of my inspirations, although I dispensed with the
            tail vise. I also decided not to recess the jaws of the side vise, in
            order to make it a little more versatile.

            Sorry about not giving you the dimensions yet. The workbench itself is
            in storage, and under a pile of other SCA stuff. I hope to excavate this
            weekend.

            --Johann