Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Wooden Moulding/Molding Planes- Using

  • Karl Christoffers
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 15 12:13 PM
      Greetings all,

      Michael Dunber's Restoring, Tuning, and Using Classic Woodworking Tools has an extensive chapter on the tuning of molding planes, including the sharpening of irons which I have seen no where else in print. The end of the chapter does have a not-so-extensive section on the using of molding planes.

      You might try looking at some of the new-ish DVDs produced by Lie-Nielsen Toolworks. Larry Williams and Don McConnell (both of Clark and Williams Planemakers, the firm now has a new name, which I forget) have made a number of how-to videoes:

      Making Traditional Side Excapement Planes with Larry Williams
      Sharpening Profiled Hand Tools with Larry Williams
      Traditional Molding Techniques: The Basics with Don McConnell
      Traditional Molding Techniques: Cornice Moldings with Don McConnell

      I have the first three of these, all very useful. The second and third might be what you are looking for.

      There was also an episode of Woodwright's shop, sometime in the last couple of seasons, where Roy has a molding plane boffin come in to demonstrate making moldings for the corner cupboard project. The upshot being: do as much as you can with planes that are easier to sharpen (rabbet, shoulder, plough) and only use your molding planes when you get to the curvey bits.

      -Malcolm macGregor
      Three Mountains (Portland, Oregon)

      .
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "excudebat1455" <libris1455@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know if a practical woodworker has written a book yet on the use of wooden molding planes? I have most of the modern books on wooden planes, but they say little or nothung about their practical usage. Possibly someone did in the 19th century. Any help appreciated beyond the tuning up process.
      >
      > Many thanks,
      > Alan
      > CT
      > usa