Some new shelves for an SCA Camper

  • Julian Wilson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2011
      Gentles all,
      I have just completed a set of flat-packiung "gothick" shelves for an SCA Camper, and have opened a new Album in the Med. Encampments List's photo files to show 4 pictures of them, under the album title of "Matthewe Baker's items for camp".
      Theshelf-set stands slightly over 5ft high, - and slightly over 3ft3ins wide between the standards.
      Hand-carved details are based on details observed on  various exhibits in the small  part of UK National Trust's large collection of medieval furniture which is on display at Knighthayes Court, nr. Tiverton in Devon - the standards' tops and bases, the fluted edges, the trefoils, and the wedge-locked, tusk-tenoned, end-joints of the shelves to the standards.
      The project was  complicated by the client's specification which included an "as light as possible" requirement.
      This meant that - in order to obtain the specified thickness of the stock without any added "special stock-order" cost-premium, - I had to edge-glue together 2 boards to get the finished board-width of 12 inches. Since the UK Construction Industry doesn't regularly-use 12-inch by 1-inch-thick Red Deal  boards in normal house-contruction joinery,  none were available "off-the-shelf" at the local Builders' Merchants.
      That added a day to the production time - glueing-up, planing-off, and sanding-flat, - by hand.
      I have posted the pictures to inspire other woodworkers who might be asked for such things, because the general design can be altered for a flat-packing shelf-set of any size; - and as of this day and time-hack, - the pictures are waiting approval by the List Moderator.
      They should be available to view by tomorrow, I'd hope.
      Matthewe Baker.
    • Lady Owl
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2011
        alas, Its not there...or at least not yet.Lisa

        > Gentles all,
        > I have just completed a set of flat-packiung "gothick" shelves for an SCA Camper, and have opened a new Album in the Med. Encampments List's photo files to show 4 pictures of them, under the album title of "Matthewe Baker's items for camp".

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2011
          He posted the photos to the Medieval Encampment yahoo group and you can see them there now....

          Nice shelves.

          Eirikr