Wooden Moulding/Molding Planes- Using

  • excudebat1455
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
      Does anyone know if a practical woodworker has written a book yet on the use of wooden molding planes? I have most of the modern books on wooden planes, but they say little or nothung about their practical usage. Possibly someone did in the 19th century. Any help appreciated beyond the tuning up process.

      Many thanks,
      Alan
      CT
      usa
    • Peter Ellison
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
        Not a book, but free to watch:

        http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/3000/index.html

        3002—Making
        Marvelous Moldings You can make any
        complex molding you want with simple hand planes—just
        take it one curve at a time. Bill Anderson and Roy show how to
        flute your pilasters and carve your cornice for this comely
        corner cupboard.

        I think there is at
        least one more episode with the same gentleman but I can't recall which
        one ...  The 3002 talks about making several patterns with hollows
        and rounds, along with a plough plane.

        Peter

        Does anyone know if a practical woodworker has written a book yet on
        the
        > use of wooden molding planes? I have most of the modern
        books on wooden
        > planes, but they say little or nothung about
        their practical usage.
        > Possibly someone did in the 19th century.
        Any help appreciated beyond the
        > tuning up process.
        >
        > Many thanks,
        > Alan
        > CT
        > usa

      • jay sabath
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
          Alan,

          I would suggest Graham Blackburn his Traditional woodworking Handtools& & Traditional Woodworking Techniques
          available at http://www.blackburnbooks.com/Support/Bio.html  I saw him do several classes on using handplanes at a woodworking show a couple of years ago.

          --
          Lord Johannes Machiavelli
          Canton of Rokkehealden

          On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM, excudebat1455 <libris1455@...> wrote:

          Does anyone know if a practical woodworker has written a book yet on the use of wooden molding planes? I have most of the modern books on wooden planes, but they say little or nothung about their practical usage. Possibly someone did in the 19th century. Any help appreciated beyond the tuning up process.

          Many thanks,
          Alan
          CT
          usa

        • D. Young
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 20, 2011
            Hi Folks

            I launched a new facebook group for those who want to discuss there also.   I found it  easier  to upload and discuss pictures and details that way.    I am still happy to contribute here as well and yet encourage you to meet up on the facebook group page too, both venues have their pros and cons.   I also thought it was a great way for our woodworking community to get to know each other better.  We already have about 50 members in less than two hours.

            I have already uploaded several hundred photos of original and  rarely seen  medieval, renaissance and colonial furniture, tools and images of workshops.

            search for:

            Ancient, Medieval, Rennaissance and Colonial Furniture and Woodenware

            "This group focuses on hand-made wooden items made before the mid 1800s when machines were employed. The concentration will be Ancient through 18th century, mostly. I highly encourage Medieval and Renaissance woodworkers to post because there are obvious similarities and differences amidst each era. We can learn from each each as techniques and approaches may have relevance to our own interest. "

            cheers
            Drew

                 Custom Commissions Welcome....!

            www.partsandtechnical.com

          • Gille MacDhnouill
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 21, 2011
              It's not a book (yet) but a very nice fellow by the name of Matt Bickford starting making traditional hollow and round planes a few years back, and to help folks use them properly (to make moldings) he has a fairly active blog at http://musingsfrombigpink.blogspot.com/
              Here he details his approach to cutting classic moldings w/H&R's. Very informative.
              As far as using profiled molding planes, I don't know that there's much of a trick, other than sharpening the irons, and using good, clear, straight-grained stock. You may want to look into making a "sticking board" to hold the stock while you "stick" (i.e. plane) it - looks like it makes things easier.
              Good luck,
              -----Gille MacDhnouill/Wade Hutchison

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "excudebat1455" <libris1455@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone know if a practical woodworker has written a book yet on the use of wooden molding planes? I have most of the modern books on wooden planes, but they say little or nothung about their practical usage. Possibly someone did in the 19th century. Any help appreciated beyond the tuning up process.
              >
              > Many thanks,
              > Alan
              > CT
              > usa

            • gloerke
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 15, 2011
                There has been an article in Fine Woodworking and as well in one of the 'best of fine woodworking' books of Taunton press on how to make moulding planes. Its:

                How to make a moulding plane
                sticking with an 18th century tool
                by Norman Vandal

                I have a pdf copy, but .... its 23 Mb large.

                Regards,

                Marijn
                St. Thomasguild
                thomasguild.blogspot.com

                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "excudebat1455" <libris1455@...> wrote:

                > Does anyone know if a practical woodworker has written a book yet on the use of wooden molding planes? I have most of the modern books on wooden planes, but they say little or nothung about their practical usage. Possibly someone did in the 19th century. Any help appreciated beyond the tuning up process.
                >
                > Many thanks,
                > Alan
                > CT
                > usa

              • Karl Christoffers
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 15, 2011
                  Greetings all,

                  Michael Dunber's Restoring, Tuning, and Using Classic Woodworking Tools has an extensive chapter on the tuning of molding planes, including the sharpening of irons which I have seen no where else in print. The end of the chapter does have a not-so-extensive section on the using of molding planes.

                  You might try looking at some of the new-ish DVDs produced by Lie-Nielsen Toolworks. Larry Williams and Don McConnell (both of Clark and Williams Planemakers, the firm now has a new name, which I forget) have made a number of how-to videoes:

                  Making Traditional Side Excapement Planes with Larry Williams
                  Sharpening Profiled Hand Tools with Larry Williams
                  Traditional Molding Techniques: The Basics with Don McConnell
                  Traditional Molding Techniques: Cornice Moldings with Don McConnell

                  I have the first three of these, all very useful. The second and third might be what you are looking for.

                  There was also an episode of Woodwright's shop, sometime in the last couple of seasons, where Roy has a molding plane boffin come in to demonstrate making moldings for the corner cupboard project. The upshot being: do as much as you can with planes that are easier to sharpen (rabbet, shoulder, plough) and only use your molding planes when you get to the curvey bits.

                  -Malcolm macGregor
                  Three Mountains (Portland, Oregon)

                  .
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "excudebat1455" <libris1455@...> wrote:

                  > Does anyone know if a practical woodworker has written a book yet on the use of wooden molding planes? I have most of the modern books on wooden planes, but they say little or nothung about their practical usage. Possibly someone did in the 19th century. Any help appreciated beyond the tuning up process.
                  >
                  > Many thanks,
                  > Alan
                  > CT
                  > usa